11.

Ash skateboards over to Robb's new apartment, which is extremely close to Joe's -  a convenience that serves them both as Ash can't stand public travel, and Robb was usually late to work at the place where he formerly lived.

She hopes the short distance will make it easier for him, although Robb's always been notorious for being late.

She picks up her skateboard and slips into the complex behind an older woman, who says nothing about her not buzzing in, and instead holds the next door open for her.

It's the little things. That will save him the trip down to let her in.

Ash climbs the stairs to the second floor before finding his room number. Her knees are throbbing from the exertion and her heart is pulsing.

Catching her breath, she knocks. Once. Twice.

Silence.

On the third one, he seems to have heard, for there's a brief clatter, and the door opens.

Robb's thumb and index finger find her chin immediately, even before Ash has time to say 'hello.' He tilts her head side to side, expression turning disdainful. "That complete witch. I ought to - I ought to -" 

"Ought to what?" Ash quips dryly, green eyes dim. "Report her? That'll work out so great for me." 

Robb throws her a stubborn look, a look that she recognizes well, but relaxes his grip so she can take a step back. "Fucked up system, that's what it is. I'll never be over it." 

Ash glances around his new apartment, frantic to change the conversation. Once Robb gets going on a particular topic, especially this one, it'll take him hours to stop. And ranting, while occasionally therapeutic, never seems to do any good for Robb, who already has issues with his blood pressure. "I like the new place," she interjects hastily.

He shrugs, but she notes the pleased smile that's suddenly formed on his face. "It's too small." 

"It's cozy," Ash corrects with emphasis. "I like it."

And she does, she's not lying. It's quaint, affordable, and she likes how she can see almost every room from this one. The paint is chipping a bit, but there's air conditioning, and it's furnished well so it doesn't look tacky or old. 

It already smells like him, of oil and the pungent scent of men's shampoo and deodorant.

Robb ruffles her short hair in gratitude, almost looking relieved. "You want something to eat, kid? Wait, who am I kidding? You're always hungry." 

"I can't help it," she whines, following on Robb's heels to the small kitchen and circular table like a petulant child. "I'm a growing girl." 

"I'm glad you like the new place so much," he remarks offhandedly, teasingly, dimple popping. "Considering that you'll be living here after graduation." 

Ash's wide eyes find his excited grin. Her surprise must be evident because Robb closes the refrigerator door to stare at her for a beat too long. 

"What?" he asks, grin faltering a bit, brown eyes practically dampening. She hates that she ruined his easygoing demeanor. "I did tell you you could stay here, unless - unless you don't want to." He finishes the sentence like he can't comprehend that last bit. 

"I thought you were embellishing," she manages, stumbling over her words, choking on gratitude. "Believe me, I appreciate the offer, but I don't know how your girlfriend would feel about that." 

His new girlfriend - the one from the pizzeria, because of course. Not that she disparages the newfound couple. She knows little about the redhead, having only met her that one time, but Robb won't stop going on and on about her. Granted, he's like this about every girl he gets involved with, and the relationship rarely lasts long, but Robb has assured her that this time will be different. 

Ash's not so sure about that given his poor track record, but she knows little to nothing about romance or intimate relationships - even the word frightens her - so she'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

"My girlfriend will get over it," he states, so sincerely that it brings her attention to him without demanding it. "You're my priority too - and if she doesn't like it, there's the door."

"Robb." Her tone turns reproachful, eyes widening further in shock. "You can't mean that." I can't be that... that important to him. I'm just me. 

"If I'm important to her, then you'll be important to her too. It's as simple as that." He says it so plainly, like it's just common knowledge, like she'd be crazy to think differently. "Besides, its not like I 'spect you to stay with us forever. Don't get me wrong, you can stay as long as you need to, but I'm sure you'd want your own place once you've saved up." 

She quickly blinks away tears that have unexpectedly formed, unbearably relieved his back is turned. She's so used to rarely feeling anything that these surges of emotions are overwhelming.

Ash rubs her knuckle against her cheek roughly before any tears can slide down, before he can turn and see.   

Still, he seems to comprehend her silence anyway. He turns around with a tender smile that reaches his eyes, (although his smiles rarely don't) knife still in hand as he cuts her sandwich into halves. "Why is it so hard for you to believe that people can care about you?" 

"I don't know," she manages with a wobbly smile, shoveling down the stampede of emotions that linger just beneath the surface, desperately trying to break free - the last thing she needs is to start sobbing in Robb's kitchen.  

"Well, whatever the reason, trust that I do," Robb replies casually, sliding her sandwich in front of her, then moving on to make his own. "And that others can as well."

A few tears spill over when she notices that he's cut the crusts off, just how she always like it.

He pretends not to notice. 

----