Tea With the Malfoys

Start from the beginning

"Go," Draco said softly, nodding at his mother. Hermione released his hand and followed Narcissa silently.

The drawing room doors hadn't even shut before Lucius was yelling at Draco for "—bringing a Mudblood into our—"

The heavy doors slammed shut before Hermione could hear the rest.

The walk to the tea room was uncomfortable and silent save for the whispers of the portraits, but Hermione doubted small talk with Narcissa Malfoy would have made it better. Narcissa directed her to her seat and took the seat directly across from her. Hermione tried not to think about how that left her between Lucius and Draco.

"Draco has spoken very highly of you," Narcissa said, her voice devoid of emotion. Hermione looked up at her, startled that she had even spoken to her. "He hasn't mentioned you by name, of course, and I'm sure you can imagine why, but he does seem to like you very much."

Hermione just nodded. What was she expected to say? Was there anything she could say? Without Draco's help to monitor the situation, she wasn't sure if she would accidentally offend Mrs. Malfoy.

They sat in silence until Draco and Lucius both stormed into the room. The look on Draco's face was murderous, but as soon as he glanced at Hermione, he relaxed. He took his seat beside her and glared at his father who sat on her other side. If Hermione thought sitting alone with Narcissa had been bad, then this was even worse.

"Draco, how have things with the aurors been?" Narcissa asked after everyone had been poured their tea.

Draco's hand was tight on her thigh, but Hermione didn't mind. One of her own hands rested over his in an attempt to help relax him, but she knew as long as they were in the manor, neither of them would be anything less than tense.

Somehow, Narcissa's attempt at small talk relieved some of the tension in the room. Draco continued to occasionally glare at his father and Hermione regularly caught Lucius eyeing her rudely, but by the time Hermione had finished her tea and scone, she was more at ease than when they'd arrived.

"Draco, darling," Narcissa said, putting her hand on his arm. "There are mini quiche pies in the kitchen. Would you go help Dilly bring them up?"

Draco glanced at Hermione and she knew immediately he would refuse. Unfortunately, Hermione also knew how the Malfoys tended to treat their house elves and she could only imagine how Dilly would be treated if she couldn't bring all the quiche pies at once.

"I don't think—"

"It's okay," Hermione whispered. All eyes were on her at the interruption, but she tried to ignore them. She looked at Draco, silently begging him to understand what she was thinking. After several seconds, he nodded.

"The kitchen, you said?" he asked, scooting his chair away from the table. Narcissa nodded and while Draco stood, he eyed his parents. He glanced worriedly at Hermione one last time, but she nodded encouragingly and he left.

"Narcissa, my dear," Lucius said, his eyes not leaving the door Draco had left through. "Do make sure Draco doesn't wander."

Narcissa nodded and stood up without a word, leaving Hermione alone with Lucius. She stared down at her tea cup intently, suddenly regretting sending Draco off. Certainly he'd only be a minute, right? She could be alone with Lucius Malfoy for a minute.

"You are not worthy to carry the Malfoy name," Lucius said, startling her so much she bumped the table and sent the china set rattling. Lucius sneered at her and Hermione looked down at the table with heated cheeks. "My son will grow bored of you eventually and we will have to save him from the damage he does to his name while with you."