Evie began to feel guilty for eavesdropping, but she wanted to see what would happen, and that desire overtook her as she dropped to a crouch. She gazed around the bend as Lielle kissed Connor on the cheek and wiped away his tears. It was only a friendly gesture, but as she tilted his face up to meet her eyes, something inside her snapped.

"They'll be all right," Lielle said as Evie ran outside into the field, creaking the floorboards as she went.

Tall weeds scratched her legs as she ran farther into the field. Sneakers slapped the ground a few yards behind her, but she picked up her pace and got lost in the grass as the tall weed rose above her head. Tears streaked her face as she ran. Connor always knew when she was near. Was this girl corrupting her best friend? She sank to the ground and tucked her head between her knees. It was only when her elbows touched the ground did she realize she was sinking.

Eyes wide in terror, she struggled to free her legs from the mud that was slowly consuming her. The rain from the night before must have soaked the field through.

"Help," she cried, now waist deep in mud. "Connor, Lielle," she shrieked shrilly, "Help!"

After what felt like many minutes, footsteps cut through the pounding of her heart. "I'm here. Help," she sobbed.

As she began to pass out from panic, a figure blurred by her tears appeared out of the grass. It grabbed under her arms and yanked her so hard, she thought the mud pulling her the other way would rip her in half. There was a loud squish and Evie rolled over the ground.

Her savior plopped down on the damp ground beside her as Evie finally gave in to her fear.

"'Night," said the stranger.

* * * * *

Light poured in under her eyelids. Evie opened her eyes and turned her head to seek out the girl whom had saved her, but she was gone. There was a rustle in the grass behind her, but Evie had no time to register what she was doing because she was already dashing through the mud.

The kid was fast, but Evie was faster. Allowing her feet to carry her lighter weight, she was soon right behind the kid. She ran until her feet and legs were sore and she was breathing too heavily. With the last of her energy, she launched into a flying leap and hooked her arms around the kid's neck. They both lurched backward and hit solid ground, panting in a tangle of limbs and hair.

The girl's hair was light blonde and spotted with mud and specks of blood. They untangled and rose on unsteady feet, glaring at each other. Her deep blue eyes cut through her defenses like knives.

"Your Diana Hallman's daughter," she said pointedly. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same question," Evie retorted.

With a roll of her eyes she thrust out her hand. "Cassidy Allen."

"Evie Hallman," she said as she took her hand. Her hand was tense, as if she wanted to flip her over but resisted. "You can come with me. I have a place to stay."

"I'll stay put once I find my brother," she scowled. "Left without warning one day and never came home."

"I know what loss feels like."

"How? How would you know miss prim and perfect, huh?"

The insult stung but she decided to let it slide. "My brother died right in front of my face."

Evie did not yet trust this girl, but she trusted her with the truth, so she told her how her brother was murdered right outside her window, how she was forced to watch it with no way to help but remembering him once he passed on.