Chapter 10

Matt

I peer over the flames of the fire pit, watching Amy's head fall back in laughter as she talks with Bree and Liz, her whole face lighting up with amusement. She catches her breath and finishes off the beer in her hand. "So how are things going with you two," Blake prompts, pulling my attention back to him.

I readjust in the Adirondack chair to face him. "She's barely been back a couple weeks," I remind him.

"And," he prods.

"And..." I pause, taking a quick glance at Christian. I know anything I say in front of him could get back to Amy. He's not really one to gossip, but him and Bree tell each other everything. "And we're spending a lot of time together, but she also went on a date last week with some stuck-up asshole," I mutter, not hiding my irritation.

"You need to talk to her, Matt," he encourages.

"I'm aware," I mumble, "and I will."

I take a sip of my beer as we all glance in the direction of the girls. "Can I ask why you two aren't together?" Christian hesitantly inquires. I look over at him, surprised he's saying anything. He never asks. He shrugs and explains, "It's just Bree has told me you guys have sort of been on and off since high school. Now that she moved back, why aren't you together?"

I take a deep breath and exhale slowly. His question is logical. He's right. "Circumstances?" I state as more of a question. I grimace at my own response, knowing its bullshit. I look at her as I answer, "I'm honestly not even sure anymore."

She turns her head as if she can feel me staring at her. She smiles before focusing her attention back on the girls. I watch as she says something to them. They nod in agreement before all three stroll around the fire towards us. I reflexively hold out my arms for Amy, "I have room right here," I encourage.

She grins and lowers herself onto my lap, wrapping her arm around my back and leaning into me. "Hey handsome," she murmurs.

I grin and reply, "Hi, beautiful."

She giggles happily and kisses the corner of my mouth in appreciation. I love her playful side. When she's like this, it's almost as if she has no worries. Then again, the beer may have helped with that a little bit. I may have to keep a close eye on her tonight to make sure she's okay, although I don't believe she's had too much to drink. I just want to keep it that way, so we can have a good night.

Christian stands up with Bree in his arms. He places her feet on the ground and spins her around so they're both facing us, keeping his arms around her waist. "We're going to take off. We have to head out early tomorrow to get back," Bree explains.

"Yeah, my brothers aren't thrilled I took another weekend so soon after our honeymoon, even though things were kind of slow this weekend," he admits. Then he glances at Blake and adds, "But we wouldn't have missed today for anything."

"Thanks," Blake murmurs, appreciatively. Him and Liz stand up and he glances at me, "He's our ride." Christian doesn't drink, so he's the designated driver. I'd offer for them to stay here, but I want Amy to myself tonight.

"Amy, are you coming with us? We can drop you at home," Bree offers.

"No," I state, before she has a chance to answer. "Amy's staying with me," I add.

She looks up at me and arches her eyebrows in challenge, but her broad smile gives her away. She wants to stay with me. We both stand up and quickly say our goodbyes to our friends. I immediately pull her back into my arms as they walk around the front of the house to leave. I settle back into the chair with her in my lap.