Chapter 4

Amy

I run my hands over my hips, relishing the feel of the smooth silk of my sleeveless, pale mint green dress. The neckline falls in a rounded V, accenting my already full breasts, as the material loosely follows the curves of my body stopping with a short hemline. I glance up at my hair, pushing it back over my shoulders, so it falls in smooth waves down my back. I reach for my gold and opal teardrop necklace and clasp it around my neck. Then I slip on my silver two-inch heels and buckle the straps crisscrossing over my toes and again at my ankle. I pucker my lips adding a pink blush glossy lipstick to my full lips, before giving myself one last glance in the mirror. "I guess I'm ready," I mumble.

I grab my phone and glance at the time. I quickly slip it into my small silver purse before I walk out the door. The last thing I need tonight would be for him to walk up to my parents' front door thinking I live there. I pull the door shut behind me and begin to descend the stairs just as a sleek, silver, Audi R8 pulls into the driveway and comes to a stop. Preston opens his door and steps out of the car with a broad smile on his face. He's wearing a black suit again, but he has a light blue button down shirt on, letting me know he changed for the occasion. He watches me as I approach him with a hungry look on his face. I slow as I get closer and he steps away from the open driver's door. I steel myself as he reaches out and lets his fingers run down my arm from my shoulder to my fingertips. He grasps my hand and with his other hand, nudges my hips, urging me to spin for him. I turn in a slow circle and he grins in approval. "You look gorgeous," he rasps. "I'd love to see you in blue next time with those diamond eyes of yours," he informs me and leans down placing a kiss on the corner of my mouth.

I gulp down the sudden lump in my throat and attempt to ignore what feels like a half-assed compliment. Was his kiss to soften the blow? I give myself a mental shake and remind myself to stop judging before I even know him. Instead, I step back and arch my eyebrows in challenge, "Next time?" He smirks confidently in answer. "Let's get through tonight first," I emphasize.

He chuckles softly and ignores my comment. He puts his hand out, gesturing towards his car and prompts, "Ready?"

"Ready," I confirm.

He walks around with me and opens the door for me, waiting as I slip inside, lowering myself onto the soft black leather seat. He slams the door shut behind me, causing me to believe he can still be a gentleman. I watch as he strides around the front of the car and slips in behind the wheel. He quickly backs out of the driveway and pulls onto the road. "So, Preston," I begin, "Where are we headed?"

"You'll see," he answers. "So do you live above the garage?" he asks, instantly changing the subject.

"Yes. I just moved back to the area and my parents' have an apartment there they usually rent. So, I'm living there until I decide what I'm going to be doing," I inform him.

"You're not sure if you're staying?" he prods.

"No, I'm pretty sure I am, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing for a job after the internship is over, so I don't want to get into a place long term until I know where I'll be working and what kind of money I'll be making," I explain.

He nods his head thoughtfully. "Makes sense. You were in Maine before?" he questions.

"Yes," I concur, keeping it simple. "What about you? How long have you been working for your dad?" I inquire.

He flinches and almost instantly masks his reaction. "It's hard to find a job in marketing when your father is their competition," he admits, causing me to soften. He glances at me, and offers me a shrug like it's no big deal, but I understand what it's like. I open my mouth to ask him more when he announces, "Here we are."