Belle and Annabeth stepped forward. They took Percy's shroud, which was a long green silk burial cloth embroidered with a trident, and set it on the flames. It burned slowly and the scent of the ocean spiraled up into the air. Annabeth gave a tiny nod to Belle.

She took a deep breath. "Uh, Percy and I weren't friends for that long, but we quickly created a bond after we fell in the Labyrinth. He was so brave and made me believe that I was so much more than my name. I'll never forget him."

Annabeth then took a step forwards, her eyes puffy from crying. "He was probably the bravest friend I've ever had. He . . ." Then her face turned shocked and flushed a deep red color. "He's right there!"

Belle turned her head quickly and her hands flew to her mouth in shock. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. Percy was standing there, looking tanner and healthier than he had back at Mount St. Helens. Her hands slowly dropped. Belle's mouth was agape as she struggled to find words to say.

"Percy!" Charles Beckendorf exclaimed.

Campers crowded around him and clapped him on the back in celebration. Belle couldn't get herself to move. She was frozen.

Chiron went over to him. "Well, I don't believe I've ever been happier to see a camper return. But you must tell me—"

"Percy . . ." Belle interrupted, finally finding her voice.

Her voice was quiet, but somehow it managed to echo throughout the campers. They parted for her and she took a few tentative steps forwards before rushing over to him. She threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly, her having to stand on her tiptoes because of their height difference. Percy responded to the hug and let his chin sit on the top of her head. She pulled away when the campers went silent and put a hand on his cheek, him subconsciously leaning into it.

Percy stared down at her. Her eyes had dark circles underneath them from a lack of sleep. They were bluer than he had ever seen them and it looked like the ocean had suddenly trapped itself inside them. Her skin was paler than he remembered, but that made the freckles dusted across her cheeks stick out more. She seemed sad, but Percy believed that he had never seen anyone more beautiful than her.

And that's when Percy Jackson knew he chose right.

"I thought you were dead," Belle admitted. "What . . . where were you?"

"Sorry, Beauty," he replied. "I got lost."

"LOST?" Annabeth yelled, marching over to the two. "Two weeks, Percy? Where in the world—"

"Annabeth," Chiron cut in. "Perhaps we should discuss this somewhere more private, shall we? The rest of you, back to your normal activities!"

He didn't wait for anybody to protest. Chiron picked up Belle, Percy, and Annabeth and slung them onto his back. He galloped towards the Big House and allowed them to get off. Belle sat in a chair next to Annabeth, fiddling with Sunflower's keychain. She could feel the tension in the room between her and Percy.

Percy told his story about how he had caused the explosion at Mount St. Helens and got blasted out of the volcano. He had gotten marooned on an island until Hephaestus found him and told him he could leave. A magic raft had carried him back to Camp. Belle got the feeling he wasn't telling the whole story.