辛抱する Persevere

I was sitting on the black bleachers of Karasuno High's gym, with a clipboard comfortably resting on my lap generously lent to me by Kiyoko-san. I was excited, being that this was the first half-official volleyball match I've seen in ages.

I did get a good idea of who they were going to play, given the fact I saw Kozume-san yesterday, coincidentally. 'Nekoma' was most likely the high school they were up against, due to one fact that they were competitive rivals against them in the past, and the boy I met was found wearing volleyball gear in this town. And I'm pretty sure he didn't put it on just to see a "friend". Wondering who it was would be a bit too far in my opinion, so I'll just leave it at that.

As my eyes roamed around the playing field, I spotted a mass of spiky, black hair that I frequently saw nowadays. Despite his short physical appearance, I could make out a roll of thin masking tape in one of his hands, and the other a volleyball.

Nishinoya-san turned around and could have felt the stare that was burrowing into his scalp. But his distanced eyes managed to meet mine anyway in a friendly and comfortable way.

The "manly" boy gave a cheeky smile and thumbs up from afar. I returned the gesture by doing the same, but only with a light smile instead of a huge one.

As for the roll of tape in his hands, I suggested him wrapping his fingers for the set he was going to attempt. He needed the firmness to support the control of the ball, as well as many other things even for a libero. Also, tiny bits of the white fabric were placed on his nose from yesterday's ball to the face, which was also my fault to blame. I still did feel too violent towards him, but a lesson learned is one never forgotten in that case.

"By the looks of it, you've gotten used to some of the players here, Nakemura-san?"

Ukai-kun approached me boldly.

"Huh? Ah.... Yeah. I guess you could say that."

I said, my hand which was once hanging loosely in the air now tangled within the back of my thick hair.

"You know, you guys didn't do such a great job cleaning up last night. You're lucky I was the first one who walked in this morning."

Ukai-kun snickered and smirked slyly. Urgggh... I knew something was wrong the second I left the building! Why don't I ever trust my instinct?!

"Yes! I'll take full responsibility fo-"

"Don't worry too much, Nakemura-san!"

Ukai-kun waved his hand in a supposedly soothing manner.

"If it's solely for practice, I wouldn't mind at all! Teach him well!"

Karasuno's coach winked and turned away to attend to other things before I had a chance to say anything.

Why did he have to be so straightforward?! It's really embarrassing to say such things... People take them the wrong way, you know..

I grumbled frustratedly as I played with chunks of my hair in an irked manner. What was I ever going to do with this team?

Just then, a burst of cold and powerful air flew through the doors of the gymnasium, even managing to throw my skirt and hair out of my hands and off to the side. Thankfully, my clipboard was still secure and tight in my lap, with only a few papers crinkling at the impact. Curiously, I looked over the polished railings of the bleachers to see what a surprising force this was created by.

Many red-colored players stood behind the silver door now wide open for their path.

Talk about a grand entrance, that's for sure.