現実 Actuality

If a heart could stop and blood could run colder than Northern Japan during winter, that's how I would describe the feeling I experienced at the moment.

Like always, a zillion questions scattered more quickly in my mind than sakura leaves upon the ground; all of them either a) thinking about Kozume-san's underlying meaning a little TOO much, b) trying to make it as if he meant something completely different, and c) trying to find a way to react and words to correctly choose for the situation.

Thankfully, I wasn't the first to break the heavy, ice-like silence that covered the gym like a large sheet of snow.

"...What would happen if I meant those words, Nakemura-san?"

He inquired, with an all-too serious look on his cat-like features. If those honey-golden eyes weren't peering into my very soul, I would have taken those words a LOT lighter than anticipated.

"K-Kozume-san... I-I-I don-"

"I'm sorry for scaring you like that. I just wanted to see what you would do."

Kozume-san admitted sheepishly, letting go of the tight grip around my arm hesitantly.

I frowned, now utterly confused. What was he trying to prove?

"W-what was all of this for, then?!"

I squeaked out, mortally embarrassed by the change in character and physique. I could feel heart rushing to my neck, and it was bound to land for my face as well.

"Nakemura-san.. Do you.. Take interest in Nishinoya-san?"

He whispered the following sentences as if the short libero was standing right behind him.

"Interest? Yeah, of course."

I stated, with no stuttering in between the lines (Thank goodness. I sounded like Tanaka-san trying to create conversation with Kiyoko-san).

Kozume-san instantly blushed at the remark and dipped his head down into his chest to avoid my eyes from gazing at his pink-ish cheeks.

After the uncomfortable stance, I realized myself how many different ways that simple statement could have been taken.

"AH! I-I meant, volleyball-wise, for instance! He's interesting in a lot of different senses besides l-l..."

I gulped before continuing.

"..Love."

I enunciated the word awkwardly as I reverted my black pupils to the side of the court, looking at the dull wall for any sort of comfort I could release my stress into.

"I see... Tetsurou was interested in your relationship with him.. And, I kind of wanted to find out as well. We all figured you guys were secretly going out, but you two are polar opposites, right?"

He cocked his head to the side. Gah, stop with the cat-like motions, Kozume-san! You'd making the thoughts worse!

Yet, the way he said 'polar opposites' struck me somewhere in my heart, like a tiny jab of a needle. Of course, his tone was always indifferent and deadpanned, but the way I took it.. Or how my.. 'heart' took it was totally different. I guess Yū and I really are tremendously different.

Kozume-san, being the intuitive and observation specialist he is, noticed the feeling I had almost instantly.

"Does it worry you, Nakemura-san?"

"Huh? Ah, not really. I'm aware of the factor, and I can't do much to change my personality without making it out to be more like his; and vice versa. Just imagine a serious and quiet Nishinoya-san, and a loud and obnoxious Nakemura-san. Funny picture, huh?"