Chapter 39: The End

The End: Liam 

          Her lips smash against mine. Our tongues mingle and I feel the warmth pulsing through her skin. Her fingers lightly tremble as she undoes the button of my jeans and tugs the zipper down. The jeans come off. My hands grab her hips, her warmth again burning sharply against my fingers. Her shirt comes off. She takes my arm and pulls me onto the bed. Straddling me, I stretch my neck to capture her lips  yet again, my hands unclasping her bra. Muscle-memory makes what we're doing so easy. She pulls away after a minute or so, gasping for air, her heart pounding so hard I can feel it. But I'm not finished; I bury my face in between her neck and shoulder. I lay kisses there, nipping at the skin every so often. I slowly make my way to her breasts sprinkling the sensitive skin with more warm kisses. Her head falls back in defeat, as she makes attempts to hold in sighs of pleasure. Her hands make contact with my chin, gently pulling me up so we are face to face. Now it's her turn. She leaves a trail of kisses from the side of my lips down to my navel. The boxers come off and she takes it all. 

          What was once warm is now hellish fire. A few moments of me playing with her hair and all of a sudden, all the angst built up in me is released. I pull her back towards me so she lies on her back, me on top this time. Her skin is flushed and her lips have swelled just a bit. I kiss her, so hungrily, so aggressively, so angrily. I rock back and forth. Her hands begin combing through my hair and then make their way to bed sheets, pulling so hard they might tear. Her breath is heavier and her collar bones poke through her skin. I come down for another kiss with the same anger, hunger, and aggression. She bites back. I taste metal. Harder, harder, and harder until--. 

          "Airi--" The precious four letter word slips off my tongue, weighed down with bliss. I look down to her. She gasps for air much more freely than before, but now tears streak her cheeks. And then, tears streak mine. 

*****

          I step to the podium. My fingers shake and it only makes sense if my voice does too. I begin. 

          "My mother was an extraordinary person. There is nothing more to say, really. She was the epitome of strength and courage. She nurtured Analise and I to the best of her abilities, even in her darkest months, and was hugely successful in doing so." My voice waved and I was ready to walk myself back to my seat. But then my eyes met with hers. With Airi's. And all of a sudden, I felt something; something powerful, that kept my feet glued to the ground. 

          "She kept us intact. Like a person who repairs dolls, she repaired us whenever anything went wrong. Whether it was a broken bone or a broken heart." My eyes continued to stare into Airi's and my mouth kept talking. 

          "You scolded when necessary but you also loved with everything you had. Not a day will go by where I forget your guidance in pursuing this cruel world. Not a day will go by where I forget the love and happiness in your voice when I spoke to you." My throat had closed but I was not finished. Airi's eyes pushed me forward. 

          "You were an empowered woman and through your glorious fifty years of life, you empowered Analise and I, even my father, molding us into the accomplished people we are today. But most importantly, you taught the value of life. Even as your own health betrayed you, you did not let that damper your time on this earth. You passed this knowledge onto us. And I thank you deeply for that, mom."  Tears escaped Airi's  eyes. My throat went numb. 

          "Mom, I love you with all my heart, we all do. You're legend will live on. Thank you everyone for being here. For supporting my family for our loss. I can never repay you all for your great kindness."

******

          I rested my head against the bark of a willow tree that was planted a few meters away from the funeral site. Although I was in such a beautiful open space, a sense suffocation filled my mind. The cool water bottle in my hand seemed to pacify my anxiety gradually. 

          "Liam?" I looked to my side to make contact with those bold green eyes. In only a few step, she was now facing me, her hand cupping my face. 

          "I'm so sorry Liam." As those words left her mouth, my eyes strained, holding back the tears. I pulled her into an embrace breathing in her scent and letting out whatever was left in me. 

          "I love you, Airi. Marry me someday." Her heartbeat quickened and I waited for her reply.

          "I love you too, Liam. And I had already planned to, a while ago." 

          And then, I knew I was going to be okay. 

The End.