Chapter One

(Please forgive me for changing up this story SO many times, this is the last time as I'm trying to write this story out in 100 days)

CHAPTER ONE

The whole thing about shooting is is that it’s supposed to make you feel better, to make you feel relieved of all the pressure in the world. It doesn’t work for me, it’s not that easy.

With the whole police investigation and crap, I still feel like I have more to do, it’s a freaking cycle that never stops repeating.

I remember that day and right now I feel really stupid about it. I remember running home, breathing fast and I was sweating a lot.

I barged into my house and my Uncle Nathan turned around, eyes wide. He said, “What’s wrong?” I didn’t say anything but I assumed he knew what was going on because he started ushering me towards the basement.

“What the hell, Callum?” Uncle Nathan said, locking the basement door as we went down. I looked at him, visibly shaking. “I-I did it. I don’t know why but I d-did it…”

He seemed pissed, really, like his face was starting to get red. “Where’s my gun?” He searched the basement for his safe, and then he had found it, and it was cracked open with the gun missing.

“Oh my God…”

“I-I’m sorry…”

“Oh…my…God…”

It was really starting to worry me that Uncle Nathan was starting to get worried.

“We have to get out - no…no, I’m not going to live another damn lie, son. You got yourself deep into this shit, you are going to turn yourself in. It’s the right thing to do.”

I remember I got into a real nasty argument, and I had started to beat him up just as the cops barged in. It was perfect timing to, they came right along the words of “You have to! I’m not going to house a criminal!” and “They’ll never find me!”

I’ve been here in jail for four days now, and I refuse to say a word to anyone until my stupid Uncle can afford an attorney.

Officers had been riding me all day long, every day, trying to pry some information out of me but I wouldn’t budge.

Uncle Nathan had came to see me once, and I could tell that he had been drinking, and crying. He sat in front of me and ran his hands through his hair. “Why?”

It was simple as that, but I always answer with the same question. “Because…”

The time I spend here in jail allows me time to think on my past, and how I had spent it.

There was a girl, actually she is still in my life, who I had met when I was five. When I was that age, she was just born and I met her through her mom who was…not exactly a good friend of my mom’s.

April’s mom always came over to argue with my mom about something that happened between them ages ago, and so April and I grew up like that. We always hung with each other, and after a while I started to love her like a sister. We still do, but even stronger…she always comes to me when something is wrong, and lately, everything is wrong.

The last time I saw her, we stayed in our old play house, staring up at the sky through the broken parts of the roof.

April was scared, tears in her eyes. “I don’t know if I can do it, Callum…”

I looked at her and then back at the sky. “You have to do what you feel you should do. I can’t make decisions for you, you have to learn on your own.”

She scanned my face and then looked at the sky as well. “I can’t give up this baby…I may have you…but I don’t have any other family, remember my mom kicked me out…”

April was pregnant. Is still pregnant - almost due, the last time I saw her was seven months ago.

I sit there in my cell and think about her, closing my eyes. I miss her, it’s been too long, she is the only one that keeps me alive.

A guard comes up to my cell and sighs a little. “Uh…kid…you have a visitor.”

He’s staring at me, and I can feel his eyes burning into the back of my head.

“Some girl is there for you…I’m assuming she’s your girlfriend? Baby-mama?” My eyes widen. “April!” I get up and walk towards the cell door and the guard opens it, leading me out and down the hall to the visiting room.

April is sitting there with her boney hands over her huge stomach, she looks dull and out of it. She looks up at me and tears well up. “C-Callum…”

There is a long red line on the floor between us but I just want to get up and hug her, I can tell she’s badly in need of one.

“Hey sweetie…” I whisper, staring at her. She’s much skinnier, despite of how pregnant she is, and she looks as if she hasn’t slept in weeks.

April takes a deep, ragged breath. “I-I…I need to tell you something…I…”

“What is it?” I press, wanting her to let it all out.

She starts to cry. “You…you’re…I…I-I can’t tell you…”

I wince and nod understandingly. “It’s okay…you can tell me later…April…you really need to get some sleep.”

April bites her bottom lip, shaking her head. “I-I can’t sleep, and you know that…I’m so worried about you-” “No! Don’t worry about me! I’ve dug my own grave, okay?”

“But who’s going to take care of me?”

“Well,” I say, “Who’s been taking care of you?”

April hesitates, then finally says. “I’ve been…staying with a pimp…” She says in a hushed tone.

My eyes widen and I lean forward. “Are you serious? You can’t do that! You’re pregnant! What do you do?”

“I clean. I-I clean after the filthy man.” April says, scratching her hair. “It’s all I got, okay?”

I stand up, furious. “Why haven’t you gone to the women’s shelter like I told you to do?”

“I couldn’t! I was too scared!”

“You’re always too scared, April! That’s just how it is for you!” She bursts out crying and I know I’ve gone too far.

“April…I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to! I just hate to see you looking like this!” I say, going over the red line to grab her. I pull her into a hug and bite my lip. “I love you, you have no idea how much I do…”

I kiss her cheek and the guard comes up. “Okay, kid, times up. Say goodbye to her, alright?”

He backs out of the room and I sigh. “I guess…I’ll see you again some other time?”

April is clinging to me, just crying. So I stay and rub her back. “Just please…get some sleep…take care of yourself and the baby…”

She nods and leans back. “I will…I promise…”

And she pulls away, leaving the room. The guard comes back and takes me to my cell. “So…she seems like a mess. Any idea what’s wrong with her?” He asks.

I shake my head. “She’s a messed up girl. I want to help her, but she only wants to help herself…”

“I see…well…she seems like a nice girl…” He closes the door on me and locks it, and I sigh. “Yeah…” I smile. “She is a nice girl…”