Kelly: Junior Year

"I still can't believe we're already Juniors," Breton said from beside me. We were sitting in our field. We still had no idea who this place belonged to, but we promised each other we'd never try to find out. We were too scared they would take it away from us, and that just wasn't worth it.

"I think it feels like we've been in high school forever," I complained. He rolled over and looked at me.

"It that so horrible?"

"No," I smiled. "I guess I like it since you're around."

He sat upon his elbow, leaning over me, and kissed me. "I would stay in school forever if it was the only way I could be with you."

We'd been together for two years, and he still gave me butterflies. Everything was just so simple between us, and I couldn't imagine anything else.

"We should probably get back," he said. He stood up and dusted the dirt off his pants before he offered a hand to help me up. "We can't miss Talon's game."

"Ugh! Yes, we can."

For some reason, the not so little brat still hated me, and Breton and I couldn't figure it out. It was Breton's idea for us to start going to his games and showing our support in the last-ditch effort to bring some semblance peace between us, but I thought it was hopeless.

We arrived a few minutes after the first quarter started, but Talon was easy to spot on the field. Sporting the number one jersey, he was the youngest quarterback our team had had in almost ten years, according to the coach and our small-town newspaper. I'd read the latest article that starred our school's brooding, bad boy football player and wasn't impressed with what they had to say.

What stunk was that I didn't have a single thing against him. My irritation stemmed from his baseless hatred of me.

"Talon!" Breton yelled. I looked up to see him standing, waving his arms in the air. I looked out onto the field and saw Talon looking our way, staring right at me. He looked like someone stole his favorite pair of sneakers.

Breton sat back down and glanced sideways at me. "He's so spoiled."

"He's a brat." I corrected him.

"Yeah, that happens when you're the baby and get everything you ever want. It's like my parents hand everything over before he even has a chance to ask for it." He paused to look at me out of the corner of his eye before continuing. "I just don't think he'll ever understand having to want something."

"Well, I want a hot dog, a bag of chips and a soda," I said, giving him a meaningful look.

"What do I look like?" He laughed. "Your servant?"

"I thought that was what we had going on here," I said, keeping my face straight.

"Uh, no. You have legs so you can walk your tush right up to the concession stand and get your food. With your own money, too, while you're at it."

"You, sir, are a frog." I stood and looked down at him. "I cannot believe I got duped into thinking you were a prince."

His laughter followed me as I walked down the steps, away from him. I smiled to myself, knowing that I had found my prince.

The beginning of Junior year ended up being so busy for both of us, so celebrating our second anniversary had to be put on hold for a couple of weeks. I had convinced my parents, since the first free night we would finally have, fell on a Saturday, to let me go to Breton's house on Friday night until a little after midnight. We had to celebrate two years together in the right way, and that would be swimming in the pond under the moon. It was going to be freezing, but we didn't care. We didn't tell anyone what we had planned, but we'd be okay.