Promise - Part 10

Start from the beginning

"I think so? It's alright, I think we can talk," Vincent tapped the mirror. He cleared his throat, scratching his stubbly jaw. Their parents looked so tired, so... sad and afraid.

"Mom... Dad," Vincent said quietly.

Vincent opened his mouth, "Evgenia, Victor... when you see this message, your mother and I... we'll be gone. We don't have much time but you both deserve to know the truth. I'm not sure if you'll ever see this message but here it is."

Their mother spoke, holding a hand to her chest, "Your father and I... we're guilty of helping Faust."

"What?" Evgenia muttered. She shared a worried surprised look with Victor.

"We went to North Island to retrieve lost information on the Moonstone and to construct one. We were ordered by Faust... Evgenia," Their mother explained, "You were just a baby. If we hadn't done it, Faust would've taken you away from us. If it had gone any other way, your father and I never would've gone to North Island... But we couldn't risk Evgenia's life."

"And now," Their father said, "The king wants us dead because we know too much. We sent you both out, secretly hoping you'll be far away when he comes to get us... We hope you two have made up by then. You'll need each other because... your mother and I won't be there anymore. You'll have to do things on your own now. Learn and grow... for us."

Evgenia clenched her fists, feeling them shake violently. Victor gripped the scar tightly.

"We know," Their mother said, "That we weren't the best parents. We made a lot of mistake. Evgnenia, we're sorry for isolating you and only caring for your magic. And Victor, we're so sorry for neglecting you, for having you leave on your own at such a young age. Nothing we do can excuse what we did... But please know, we're so very sorry." Their mother was pleading, her eyes shining with tears.

Their father let out a shaky breath, wrapping an arm around his wife, "There are going to be tough times in the near future. Bad things are going to happen and we won't be there. You two need each other now." He smiled, offering a smile of hope to his children. But Evgenia and Victor could see the pain behind that smile. "Your mother and I are going to miss you."

Evgenia covered her mouth, keeping her cries. She couldn't- she needed to hear every word.

Victor shook his head, not believing what he was hearing.

Their mother wiped her tears away, "Evgenia, Victor, we love you. We love you both so much, never forget that."

"And promise us," Their father began, "That you'll never let each other go. Stay together, find good friends, and live life to its fullest. Promise us that, okay?" He held his wife closer to him, "We'll... we'll see you on the other side."

Then the image of their parents wobbled, rippling away and returning to the reflections of the siblings.

They were left staring at their selves, staring at crying eyes and quivering chins. Evgenia covered her face, breathing shakingly into her hands. Victor turned away, sniffling on choked cries.

"We love you too..." Evgenia quietly said, tasting the bitter salt of her tears.

...

When the siblings finally appeared out of the house, Omis walked up to them. He sniffed Evgenia's face before licking the dried tears away. He turned to Victor, doing the same.

Minerva put her sword down, worriedly asking them, "Are you... okay?"

Evgenia and Victor quietly went to the front seats, staying silent.

The others sadly shared a look of concern.

But then Evgenia said, "Yeah."

Victor turned to them, offering a small smile, "We're going to keep going, for our parents."

Evgenia nodded. Her grip on the reins tightened. She stared hard, a fire of determination lit up in those sharp eyes of hers.

"We're going to defeat Faust," She strongly declared, "Our parents aren't the only ones whose fallen victim to him. We're going to fight for every mage who have been wronged."

"That's more like it," Adva grinned at them. They grabbed their staff, raising it up in the air, "Let's do this!"

Bella followed, smiling wide, "Yeah!"

"Heck yeah!" Momoko said, raising a fist of fire into the air.

Minerva nodded, "We got this!" She raised a sturdy fist.

Victor made his hand glow, pumping it into the air as well. He looked at his sister, smiling at her.

Evgenia rolled her eyes with a small smile. Lighting her hand, she raised it as well.

"Together," Evgenia said, smiling at the crew, "We do this together."

Omis turned his head up, howling loudly.

Lucy blinked at them, letting out a soft whine before going back to grazing.

No matter what happens, they have to stick together. They only have each other.

Even with every painful moment, they'll share it.

Every victory, they'll share it.

Together.