Chapter 14

Trigger Warnings: Mentions of fighting/arguing, referenced panic attacks, indirect references to Kat's past (if I missed anything, please let me know!)

(A/N: Thanks to @Red_writes for the ideas! And thank you to everyone who's read, voted, and commented on this so far! I appreciate each and every one of you! Sorry, this took so long!)

The grocery store was almost completely silent, save for the squeaking of the cart Anna and Kat were pushing and their soft footsteps. Both of them were half-asleep, only having woken up an hour or so ago. Ahead of them was a hopefully exciting morning. A stress-free morning just to themselves.

But right now finding the one kind of chicken nuggets little Cathy would eat was the top priority. Anna ran a hand through her short-hair, suppressing an irritated sigh. Kat was a few strides further down the aisle. She was peering into one of the freezers before she let out a noise that was just shy of a shriek.

"Oh, thank god. Anna! I found them!" The youngest queen walked back towards the cart and Anna. She looked down at the package she held. She pointed a finger accusingly at the chicken nugget dinosaur, "You and I, mister, were this close to having a problem. If Cathy didn't love you so much, I would have thrown you into the trash."

Anna chuckled softly at her girlfriend. "Poor dino."

Kat said nothing, but did throw the box into the cart with a little more force than necessary.

They continued on in the store, as boring as it was. They passed a few people but other than that the store seemed almost deserted. The fourth queen would occasionally glance at Kat. She was biting her lip and curling a piece of her hair around her finger. She was relatively quiet, but Anna could tell her thoughts were going a mile a minute.

It took a bit before, "Anna, could I ask you a question?"

"Go ahead, Kätzchen."

"Okay. I just, like...who regressed first? I mean, I know you do, and Annie does, and Cathy does. Maybe I do too," she shrugged, throwing up her arms, "I don't know. But like out of you three, who did it first? 'Cause you're all so comfortable and I..."

Kat trailed off, looking over at Anna, who remained silent. A dazed look was in her eyes and she stared forward as they walked. Kat felt more anxious with every step. Did I overstep some boundary? Is she going to get mad? Are Annie and Cathy going to be mad too? What if they-

"Anne did first."

"Really?" She turned her head to look over.

"She doesn't like to talk about it."

"Why?"

Anna replied, "It happened during the early times; when only a few of us were back."

"You guys don't talk about that...like ever."

"That's because it wasn't very good then. And now it's better."

Kat mouthed a silent oh. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't wanna. It's okay. Whatever you want. I understand. I didn't mean to bring up a bad subject." Kat set her hand on top of Anna's on the cart.

"It's...complicated, I guess. That's probably not the best wording." The red queen ran a hand through her short hair.

Kat pressed her lips together into a thin line. She nodded, saying nothing. Her thoughts continued to run wild, even more so now, but she waited.

"Catherine, Anne, and Jane fought a good amount when they first came back. It's not like they were huge life-or-death fights or anything; thank god. It was just little things, honestly. Like 'oh, you left so and so sitting out here' or 'blah-blah-blah, why'd you look at me like that,' you know? Not detrimental things, necessarily."