- 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 𝔣𝔬𝔲𝔯. ミ

╲⠀╲⠀╲ ╲

⠀⠀╲⠀╲⠀☆⠀ ╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀☆⠀╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ★

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀★

september 1859

september 1859

"You've been such a great help lately, Paul! I really think you should take a break."

The quiet scraping of spoon against bowl was Jim's answer, along with a vague, nonchalant shrug as the raven-haired boy scooped more pea soup into his mouth; all of his limbs ached and sharp pains shot through his wrists whenever he moved them. Exhaustion hung over the seventeen-year-old like a storm cloud, every inch of his body feeling overworked to the last thread.

"Yeah, I mean - you look like ten horses trampled all over ya." Mike chimed in with a hint of a cheeky smirk before he tipped up his bowl to his mouth to capture the last drops of his soup.

"Thanks, Mike," Paul rolled his eyes, words dripping with sarcasm as he reached to gulp down his water.

"Don't be rude, Mike." Jim scolded him with a stern look, before turning back to his eldest son with concern in his gaze. "You need to rest, son. You look so tired out. Let yer brother take over for a bit."

"No, I'm fine, da'. I swear it." He shook his head quickly. The sickening guilt he'd grown accustomed to over the last few months bubbled up in his throat, closing it up and making it hard for him to swallow the last of his food. I have to do all that I can before we leave. "I can still work just fine."

"I just worry for you. Yer workin' four nights at the pub and wood loggin' during the day, and all this farm work in between! I don't want you permanently hurtin' yerself." His father stood up from his seat as he spoke, collecting his son's empty bowls and taking them to the basin to wash them. Paul stayed silent, just sipping at his water and keeping his gaze fixed to the table, chewing anxiously on his lip. There was a sigh from Jim. "Promise me you'll at least lay off of the farm work a bit? Just relax and spend time with yer friends. Nothin' too strenuous, though."

He squeezed his eyes shut for a few seconds. I hate it, but he's right. I can't keep going on like this. "Alright." He agreed reluctantly, lifting his head to send a fake smile his father's direction. "I promise."

"Good boy. Now you two run along, I need to do some cleanin' up in here."

"I'm gonna go hang out with some friends, that alright, da'?" Mike spoke up, gazing at Jim eagerly. "I'll be back by ten."

"Alright, fine." He waved a finger in his direction with a smile. "Any later and there'll be consequences!"

"Understood, sire!" Mike saluted jokingly as he dashed away - probably to get his coat or something - causing Jim to laugh.