twenty-seven. confrontations

The next day, I feel better. I don't know exactly what "better" would mean, but I know I'm feeling an improvement in my feelings compared to before. Aria is supportive like always, but I've decided to go out for a walk around the campus.

Alone.

My stories have already been torn away from my soul, so I have nothing to lose. Going for a walk won't hurt me.

I'm ready to face my thoughts in a new space. Plus, it helps that since others are around, I'll refrain from crying more.

As I walk outside, I feel the cold winter air blowing over me and I fear for my body as I nearly trip on the icy sidewalks. This is the millionth time that it's almost happened, and I know that I won't be out of the danger zone until the leftover snow melts away.

I look above, and I marvel at the blue skies with faint white clouds. If it weren't freezing, I would almost feel as if I'm stuck in spring. I look forward to seeing pink flowers bloom and the green grass returning to its original state. I miss the smell of rain, and the feeling of water falling on me.

It almost feels poetic.

I'm quickly reminded that it's not spring and that I'm not in my fantasy dreamland when I bump into someone.

First, I almost trip on the ice. This time, I actually walk into someone. My clumsiness truly has no limits.

I mumble a quick apology without even bothering to look at the person. I know that if I do, their face will leave a mark in my mind and I'll have nightmares about how embarassing I am.

I'm ready to go on my way, but clearly this other person isn't. They don't move, and they proceed to get in my way.

As I'm keeping my head down, I notice that that they're wearing grey Adidas. I roll my eyes when I remember that Cole always used to wear those. He was the epitome of a basic white guy.

"Celeste?"

How funny. They know my name and even sound exactly like-

I finally look up, and I make contact with Cole.

"Celeste?" He repeats again.

The traitor hasn't changed since the last time I saw him. Still has the same ghost-like pale complexion, lifeless eyes, and an evergrowing smirk that I can't help but want to punch.

He takes his cloth hat off, and holds it down as if he's begging for forgiveness.

Of course, he isn't.

I know this because of the words that he says next.

"How could you do that to me?" He asks, pleading for some answer that doesn't even exist.

I feel like I should run.

I don't though.

I stay put.

After everything that's happened, he still has the audacity to blame me.

"Go to fucking hell," I tell him.

Inside, I feel like a burning fire. I wish that I could yell at him, but I hold myself back. I have to try to remain calm. The people walking around us might think we're crazy. Cole surely must be, but I'm not.

"I didn't deserve that! You owe me," he says.

"I don't owe you anything. You ran to my parents like a scared little boy and told them about what you saw. It was none of your fucking business but you did it anyways."