Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Come on, now what's that supposed to mean?"

"I didn't say anythin'," she said with a smirk.

"I preferred it when you were in London," Brett said as he raked his hands through his hair and shot his sister a frustrated look. "How about you go back and leave Becca here with us."

"Yeah, not a chance," she said and swatted at him.

He turned to face the ladder and climbed up a couple of rungs before glancing back down.

"All jokes aside, it's good to have you home, sis." He disappeared to the smaller second level of the farm which was slowly being transformed into an office especially for Maggie but in that moment it was where Brett checked over the plans for the barn renovation.

"You have a keen eye for this sort of thing," Annalise said as she approached Harry and Leigh once again.

"I've always loved architecture and interior design. It was what I wanted to study in college before, well you know..." She confessed.

"Not music?" Harry questioned.

"When I was eighteen I only really saw music as a hobby, I didn't think I could ever make a career out of it but then I got the opportunity to write the theme song for 'At The Top' and that led to acting so I guess this kind of stuff just got pushed to the back of my mind."

"You could always go back to college," Annalise said. "There are loads of people in their late twenties who are going back."

"Maybe but let's just see how the barn turns out first, when it's finished," she said.

"Harry, would you mind checkin' on Becca?" Annalise said suddenly and as soon as Harry was out of ear shot she turned her attention to Leigh. "Can I talk to you for a second? I uh...I was wonderin' if you would sing a song tomorrow. You have a beautiful voice and I would really love for you to sing the song for our first dance?" She asked clearly feeling a little embarrassed by the request.

"Oh gosh. Um I don't know. Have you spoken to Harry  about it? I don't want to ruin the day for him?"

"You couldn't ever ruin the day and I'm sure he will be. Ever since he got here all he's talked about is the good time you two had in London. He thinks really highly of you and I know he'd love it if you sang at our weddin'."

"Then it'd be my pleasure."

Harry entered the barn a couple of moments later with his daughter and Annalise told Leigh to keep their little talk a secret.

"Hi Leigh," Becca said in a quiet voice and fiddled with the hem of her dress.

"Hey sweetie. That's a pretty dress," Leigh said.

"Mommy made it."

"You did?" Leigh glanced up at Annalise who nodded.

"My mother made dresses for me when I was little so I wanted to keep the tradition goin'...although it's not very good," Annalise said shyly.

"I think it's amazing. I could never do something like that, I haven't got the patience-"

"Annie, Becca come and look at this," Harry called from the opposite side of the barn and they excused themselves to meet him.

Leigh glanced up at the second level of the barn and saw Brett pacing around. The sound of his heavy boots on the thin wooden flooring echoed throughout the barn which sounded as if it was rain pounding against the metal roof.  She looked back over at where the small family of three stood gazing out upon the rolling fields behind the barn before setting her right foot onto the ladder and climbing her way to the top with a significant amount of ease than the previous time.