Prolouge

(Angst warning)

3rd Person POV

Footsteps sounded on empty pavement as a shadow strode through the night. He walked as though he had come through this alleyway many, many times. As he came nearer to the building, the sound of a crying girl became more distinguishable, her figure hunched over as she wept pathetically, a boy next to her tried in vain to soothe her. The shadow cleared his voice once, and the boy's eyes snapped towards him, disappointed recognition filled them. He groaned softly as he tiredly asked the shadow,

"What do ya want?" The shadow of a figure's smile only widened as he he said simply,

"I tried ta warn youse." In such a tone that was decidedly on the line of boyish satisfaction, and cynical pleasure. The other simply stared at him, eyes enraged at the smugness of this other boy. He struggled the urge to get up and soak the figure before him. However, he nor his sister had the energy.

"Is dat why you came here? Ya don't think Ise've been humiliated enough?"? the sobbing grew louder, and the brother held his sister closer. "Ya did what I asked of youse. No go." He finishes coldly, however the shadow made no move to leave. Shifted his wait maybe, but let his eyes bore into the brother's.

"Ise believe we had a, little financial arrangement?" The brother didn't dare continue return the stare. This infuriated the shadowy figure before him. "Just because ya didn't get da answer ya wanted don't mean youse can scam me outta dat money!"

"I don't have the money!"

"Den get it!" The shadow snarled, at the end of his short patience. "Do youse know how hard it is ta spy on Spot Conlon?" The girl's sobbing escalated into an uncontrollable wail.

"We all just went through a strike! We all need time!" The brother explained desperately. The figure's eyes narrowed, considering this argument for just a moment.

"Fine. I'll give ya your time. I'll even continue my woik for ya. But yis gotta pay up eventually. If ya don't... let's just say I'll make yis regret it." He finishes with a look towards the girl, who in turn gasped, then went silent, quivering all over as her brother grasped her tighter. He was whispering something in attempts to calm her. With that, the shadow figure made his way back out of the building and into the alleyway. The sound of footsteps on pavement loud in the ears of the two siblings until it faded into silence, leaving them both shaking.

"We're dead." The girl whispered hopelessly into her brother's shoulder. The brother simply looked off after the figure and whispered back,

"Not if they're dead first." The girl readjusted her head to gape at him.

"What do you mean?"

"Look at what Brooklyn's done ta us. I think it's about time we had done something about it." He looked through her teary eyes, his expression close to breaking out into madness. "Wes're goin ta war."

------------------------

oooooooooooo the prologue's intense. Please comment your theories, I'd be fascinated in hearing them. Thank you so much for reading, this book is gonna be hella intense. Ily guys ❤️❤️❤️