Chapter 26

Song: deja vu - Olivia Rodrigo
_______________________________

I stared at Carter and swallowed the words he had spoken. His eyes were hooded with a vulnerable look, like right now, at this moment he couldn't be strong.

I didn't know what to say, what to think. So as always I tried to escape the situation.

"I need to go" I said lightly, looking away from him.

He didn't say anything back.

I stood there for a moment longer, a moment unnecessary but nothing happened. It never did.

As I turned towards the door to leave, I heard Carter sigh.

.............................

"Eva!!!" I heard Blake's voice call me as I entered the big dining room.

There were huge round tables everywhere, the roof decorated with golden chandeliers. The hall was filled with the smell of delicious foods and the chatter of people.

I turned my head towards the direction of Blake's voice and saw him sitting at a table with ten more people which included Mr and Mrs Boseman, Mr and Mrs William and Kaisey. Sighing I made my way towards him, preparing myself for another awkward situation.

Why did I agree to this?

Reaching Blake I glided into the seat next to him.

"Took you long" he remarked, grabbing a bowl filled with crackers.

"When are we leaving?" I inquired, eyeing my soup.

Before Blake could answer I heard Kaisey call Carter's name from my right. My eyes shifted to her as she waved at someone behind me. My ears not picking up Blake's answer to my question.

Why did Carter have to sit on this table? Why did Carter have to be here? Why was it that everytime I tried to walk away from him he would be standing a step closer.

Carter slided into the chair next to Kaisey, giving her a small smile. He then reached over and shook hands with a man sitting besides Kaisey.

The man was wearing a brown suit and looked sharp. His black dyed hair were dyed gelled back. His eyes looked exactly like Kaisey and so did his smile that he was giving Carter.

That must be Kaisey's father.

"Stop staring" Blake singsonged in my ear.

I looked away, collecting my composure and grabbing the spoon to drink some soup. The quicker I eat, the faster I could get out of here.

It would not be wrong to say that the food was my only highlight of the day. It was delicious, every dish and drink. Every item was cooked to perfection and I was so absorbed in the savoury taste of it that I forgot Carter was sitting a little distance away.

Besides me Blake was also engrossed in his food, especially the pasta. Watching him eat I was reminded again of his misfortune. He must have spend countless hungry nights out on the streets and still woke up the next morning filled with energy and devotion. I admired him alot for that

Apart from us everyone at our table was having a conversation. Some were talking about business, the others about politics. The women about best holiday destinations and donation organizations. Somehow the harmless small talk shifted to the topic of marriage and out of the blue, the man sitting to my right called out Carter.

"So are we hearing any wedding bells soon?" He asked with a grin on his face.

My body froze like ice. I looked up and saw Carter staring at the man and then after a brief moment his eyes shifted to me. Besides him, Kaisey was looking at him expectantly, waiting for an answer.