33. Big Girl Now.

"We need to keep my dad safe."

"I will make sure of it," Vincent spoke.

I threw my clothes and other belongings into my suitcase.

Our flights were leaving in less than an hour and my mind swirled with anxiety.

My hands shook as I stuffed my last shirt into my bag and I fumbled with the zipper.

I could still see the life leave that man's eyes. He would no longer see his family again. He would no longer see anyone again.

"Let me finish packing while you get cleaned up. We have a long night ahead of us." Vincent put his hand on top of mine and gave me a concerned look. "Not much of an assassin, huh?"

"Har har," I tried to joke as I waddled to the bathroom to wash my misery down the drain.

The moment I peeled off my shirt there were holes cascading down my shoulders to my chest to my stomach. Taking off my pants revealed even more damage.

Tears pinched in my eyes as I yanked every single bullet from its nest and tossed them in the sink.

13 blood covered bullets laid staining the white sink red and leaving my wounds to heal.

Even though the pieces of lead were no longer lodged in my body, I could still feel the burning of them entering my skin.

In minutes, heck in seconds, someone's life can change forever.

Hours ago I was excited that I had received my first acting job and now it pained me to think about it. Mainly because it was another choice that I had to make. Others or myself? Selfless or selfish?

After rinsing off the bullets I grabbed a bag from the cabinet to put them in. Thankfully we were able to drag those bodies out of sight; well, Vincent and I. Dad was still in shock.

"Never leave evidence behind," Nova always said. Especially for Leonardo's capos or the paparazzi to find.

After a thought filled shower, I wrapped a towel around my body and threw my frizzy hair into  a low bun.

"Why is life so hard?" I mumbled to myself and turned around to open the door but stopped when I saw Vincent through the crack of it.

"Yes, I'm leaving again, piccolo. I'm meeting with someone who I haven't seen in a while and it's very important that I go." Vincent's eyes closed as he explained to the little boy on the other end of the phone.

I know how hard it was to tell his only son that he was leaving him again.

"Don't worry. I will be back very soon," he paused and chuckled deeply. "I will have to check to see if Amari would be up to coming back to see you. She does have a new show if you want to see her even sooner."

I couldn't help the lift of my lips.

"Don't forget to ask your aunt to help you with that new piano piece. I love you more than anything, Joey. I hope to see you very soon."

After hanging up the phone, Vincent stared down at the screen as if it was going to ring again. I walked out before it could have the chance to.

"How are you feeling?"

"Holy," I replied jokingly.

"I think you're still in shock Amari," Vincent piped before tossing me a T-shirt and some shorts.

"Do you think things occur by chance or by reason?"

A tinge of a smile met his face as he turned around for me to change.