III

~Dorothy Sawdon~

I sighed, swinging my leg over the back sit of Rachel's motorbike and getting on. My hands clasped on her waist.

"Here" she handed me her helmet, not turning around. I appreciated the thought and took it, fastening it quickly as she revved the engine on.

"Hold on tight, Dalia" she said, revving the bike and almost immediately taking off. I held on tighter as she drove off and passed by Jordan who looked confused, looking a bit too calm to have known the person riding the bike was Rachel Jones.

"What the fuck, D?!" she called after us, hoping out of her car and throwing her hands in the air.

"Got a new ride that actually involves breathing" I answered, "See ya there"

My hands stayed around her waist as we drove off into the ice-glazed road of South Hampton, streetlights illuminating the path and vehicles speeding beside us. It was a sight to see in all honesty, I hadn't imagined I would end up on Rachel Jones bike driving to a party together like an actual couple.

If someone had told me this would happen yesterday, I would have laughed so much that I choked on air but now here I was.

I wondered what Rachel had going through her mind as I held on to her. Nothing decent, I assumed. My mind whirled around various thoughts surrounding Rachel until the bike stopped and Rachel got down from it.

She held her hand out to me and I begrudgingly took it, aware that eyes were actually now on us seeing that we were in the yard of Parker's condo, sorrounded by students --most drunk and oblivious but some not.

Party cups littered the floor and somehow the air smelled like alchohol and insolence. I saw Jordan pulling up a few spaces from where I stood and decide this was the perfect opportunity to escape Rachel.

"Hey, thanks for the ride, Jones" I said, attempting to leave but being stopped by Rachel who now had her hand wrapped around my arm.

"You can thank me by escurting me upstairs" she said, pulling me closer to her. I grimaced.

"No thanks" I said, yanking my hand away and beginning to leave.

"Your loss, Diane" she called out.

I ran over to meet Jordan who no doubt had seen me with Rachel already telling by how she tackled me once I was in her vicinity.

"Rachel Jones drove you?!" she hollered, making the drunken teens around turn and hiss at us before resuming their mindless roaming.

"Uh, yeah" I said but she didn't need to know about us being neighbours. She'd flip. "Not that big a deal, honestly"

She looked unconvinced, "Do you two are speaking" she said, "Are you sleeping with her?!"

"No!" I yelled with an equally loud voice and then sighed. "I'll explain later"

She agreed silently, giving me a weird look before grabbing my hand and dragging me along into the party with her. The air inside was a mixture of hormones and and sweat, along with the tangy smell of burnt Marijuana. It smelt like adolescence.