Chapter 3: Ice

Zane opened his eyes and saw pale sunlight shining down on him. He had been dreaming again; dreaming of a life he had never known. Every night it was the same, and every night he woke up before he saw the ending.
In the dream, he was alone, as far as he could tell, in a small room which he had no memory of. He would look around and find... nothing. No furniture, no toys, no kitchen, no living room, no other people besides himself. Then he would get the feeling that there was someone walking up behind him; a man he used to know. He would turn around, desperate to know that he wasn't alone, and then the dream would end.
Zane sighed loudly and got up slowly. His legs were stiff with sleep, and his vision was blurry as he moved to close the open window. He didn't care for the warm sun, or the sound twittering birds, so long as the man in his dream evaded him.
Once he had changed into his day clothes, he walked a short ways to his kitchen where he prepared himself an omelette, then ate it quietly at the table in the living room. He sat on his knees in silence for a long time after that.
He looked up suddenly as the clock on his wall struck the hour.
DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!
He breathed in deeply, then set about his chores. He washed his dirty dishes, wiped down the counters and table, then took a quick glance at a recipe book, scribbled down the names of a few ingredients on a thin piece of paper, and left out the front door.
The town in which he lived was called Sakana Village, so named because it was one of the most prosperous fishing towns in Ninjago. Zane had woken up here many years ago after a terrible blizzard, bloody and bruised, or so the people told him. He had no memory of how he had gotten there, or of where he was from, or who his parents were. All he had was his own name and a strange dream. The villagers had taken him in and treated the numerous wounds that stained his body. Here Zane remained for seven years, silently hoping that one day he would find or remember his past.
Sakana Village sat at the mouth of Serpent's Bay; right in-between the border of Imperial territory, and Garmadon territory. Yet the townspeople cared very little for the war, and most days it seemed very far away. This was thanks to Zane. He had no idea where he had learned to fight, but he was exceptional at it. He would ward off any and all soldiers, Imperial or Skulken, keeping the people and their resources safe. There had been a few brave men who left the village seeking to join the army, but apart from the occasional attempted raid, Sakana Village was left to its own devices.
"Hey, look! It's Mr. M!" cried a small child as Zane walked by. The local children were fascinated by Zane, and his story, and so they took to calling him Mr. Mysterious, or M. for short. The crowd of other young ones surrounding the first child all gawked and stared at Zane for a moment, then leaped upon him with their usual unbridled enthusiasm and curiosity.
"Mr. M!" cried a little girl as she and others struggled to keep up with him as he walked. "Did you find out what the dream means yet?"
Zane felt his lips curl into a gentle smile. "Not yet," he replied in a steady voice.
"Where are you goin?" asked a little boy with messy black hair.
"To the market," said Zane.
"Can we come too?!" said several children at once. Zane gave an amused nod. They all cheered and began happily trotting, skipping and wandering by his side as they wound their way through the cobblestone streets.
"My brother said tha-that you can fight off a hundred bad guys with your hands!" one boy exclaimed. "How did you do it?"
Zane's smile faltered. He remembered the day the boy was referring to well. It was several months ago, but the village was still talking about it. A small band of Skulken soldiers had come to the town one night in an attempt to raid it of its supplies. A young girl, about thirteen, had been out in the nearby forest picking flowers and on her way home she had spotted the troops, armed with their black swords and spears. She had, of course, run to find someone and warn them before it was too late. She made it into town shortly thereafter, and it did not take long for word to reach Zane.
The night air was positively frigid, and Zane remembered how the murky fog bank rolled in from the sea as he made his way to confront the soldiers. The woods beyond were still shrouded by pitch blackness, so he called out into the night, "Hear me, minions of Garmadon! You are trespassing on this land! Leave now, or face my sword!" and raised his katana to show that he was armed. The silence replied with a single, silver arrow which clipped his hand and sent the sword falling to the ground with a loud CLANG!
The fog engulfed him, and so did the Skulkens. They charged at him, weapons drawn, and Zane could feel the power tingling at his fingertips. He didn't have time to reach for his weapon, he had only enough time for instinct.
Out of all the mysteries of his past, this was his greatest: for as long he could remember, he had fought with a strange power inside of him. When it managed to break free, ice would appear from his hands and freeze anything nearby. He had gained control over it, but he rarely used it, for fear of what the villagers would think of him if they knew that he was... different. Now, however, he had no choice. In the shelter of the freezing mist, Zane unleashed his power on the enemy soldiers and they were helpless to stop him. Most of them were killed instantly by the large, icy, stalagmites which had ruptured their skulls, meanwhile others had simply been frozen to death. A handful managed to escape, but Zane let them go with a warning, "Leave, and never return!"
He trusted the fog to keep the ice hidden until morning when the sun would melt it away. Then he retrieved his sword and marched back into town triumphant. Apparently a few people had managed to catch a glimpse of what had happened that night, or at least he speculated as much, but had thankfully not seen him use his powers.
Zane watched the ground underneath his feet as he said, "Discipline and hard work. That's how I defeated them." The little boy's eyes fell with disappointment. He had been hoping for a more exciting answer, but Zane was not one for telling stories. Especially stories about fighting.
The children soon became bored with Zane and went to distract themselves with a game while he finished his shopping at the market. His interactions with the sellers were short and to the point, and his arms were full groceries as he made his way home again.
"Mr. M!" Zane turned and saw the same little girl from earlier running up behind him. "Mr. M! There's a stranger in town!" Zane's face turned to stone. They did not get visitors very often, and when they did, they were usually the unpleasant kind.
He put his bags on the ground and let the little girl lead him to the town square. There were hardly any people around, and any who were nearby were scuttling away to avoid the stranger. The little girl was bouncing up and down and pointing as she asked, "Is he a bad guy? Are you gonna have to fight him?"
Zane looked up and saw an old man with a long white beard standing all alone in the town square. He had on a bamboo coolie hat, an off-white robe, and was leaning on an old bamboo staff.
"Akari, run home, now," Zane said calmly. The girl obeyed without hesitation. "Stranger," Zane called as he stepped forward. "What business do have here?" The old man looked up and his blue eyes shone from underneath the brim of his hat.
"Please forgive my intrusion," he answered. "I am looking for someone."
Zane lifted an eyebrow. "Who is it you're looking for?"
"A young man by the name of Zane."
Zane's breath caught and he shifted uncomfortably. "I am he."
The old man smiled. "My name is Master Wu," he said.
"Nice to meet you," Zane said politely.
"And you, but may I suggest we talk somewhere more private? I have a matter of great importance to discuss."
"O-of course," Zane stuttered and he lead Wu to his house. A part of him wanted to shoo this man from town immediately, but the other was desperately curious. Once they were behind closed doors, Zane asked, "How do you know my name?"
Wu stood for a moment, looking him up and down. He stroked his beard as he said, "There is hardly a soul in Ninjago who does not know the rumours of Sakana Village, and the warrior who guards it." Zane's heart fell, but he steadied himself quickly.
"What's it to you?" he asked.
"Well, the rumours aren't the whole story, are they?" Wu answered. "Most versions tend to leave out the part about the Skulkens being frozen to death by magic ice."
Zane's stomach twisted with panic and he stood up straighter. "I don't know what you're talking about."
Wu was silent for another moment. "Zane... you are right to hide your powers, but you needn't from me." Zane was about to ask another question when Wu cut him off. "Tell me, why do you defend this village?"
He was taken aback by this sudden topic change, but answered, "These people helped me. They saved me. The least I can do is return the favour. They're free to join in the fighting if they want, but everyone else here is under my protection. The soldiers of both armies would sap this place dry without me here guarding it."
Wu seemed to be thinking about something very troubling. "Zane, if you could put an end to the war, would you?"
Again, Zane was confused by this old man, but answered, "Of course."
"Then I have a proposition for you." Wu walked to the nearest window. "I am in need of great warriors such as you. Defeating Lord Garmadon won't be easy, but I know of a way."
"How?" Zane breathed.
"Unfortunately, that is as much as I can say. There are not many safe places left in Ninjago for such discussions." Wu walked back over to Zane and stroked his beard again.
"So, you're with the Imperial Army? And you need my help to defeat Garmadon?" Zane summarised. Wu nodded solemnly. "I'm sorry, but I can't just leave my home unguarded."
"I will arrange for my personal guards to protect these people," said Wu. When Zane looked ready to retaliate, he quickly added, "I assure you, they are the most honourable men I know, hand picked by myself. They will not cause any trouble here." There was another moment of silence between them. "The day is growing short, and so I must say farewell, but before I do," he retrieved a small rolled up scroll from his robes, "take this. You will understand when you open it. Thank you for your hospitality." Wu gave a shallow bow, then left. Zane was alone again, dumbfounded.
"Wait!" Zane cried as he rushed outside after him, but the streets were empty. He looked down and presently found his grocery bags sitting at his feet with a small note attached. He picked them up and read, you really ought to be more careful where you leave your things. -Wu
An uneasy smile flickered across Zane's face as he brought the bags inside and laid them on the kitchen counter, but it was soon replaced by a frown. A great deal had happened in a very short amount of time and he wasn't quite sure what to make of it. There was something about the way Wu had looked at him... it was as if he knew him. But Zane was sure that they'd never met before, unless...
He opened the scroll in his pale hands and began to read feverishly.

Zane Julien,
Rest assured that your secret is safe with me. We have much
to discuss, but I'm afraid it will have to wait. If you are so
inclined, please meet me at the Yamadera monastery in the
Wayward Mountains outside of Ninjago City. There, you'll
be greeted by the woman Ann Jing Haruto. She is a trusted
ally of mine. Await further instructions.

Zane Julien... Zane Julien... Zane Julien... the words repeated over and over in his head. His last name... Wu did know him. There were so many things he wanted to ask; so, so many things. Zane sat down so he could process what he had just learned. He thought about it for a long time. He thought about it while he made his dinner, while he ate, while he cleaned, and by the time the sun had set, he was still thinking.
Julien... the name sounded vaguely familiar, but like the man in his dream, the true memory was still a blur.
Unable to think much more, Zane decided to go for a walk to clear his thoughts. The night air felt good on his face and his breath came out in small puffs. He passed by houses that belonged to many people he knew well, and the idea of leaving pained him, but at the same time, this could be his only chance to learn who he was. Where he came from. Who his parents were. Besides, if Wu's mission was successful, then after they defeated Garmadon, his friends would be safe from ransacks forever.
He was now standing on the edge of the longest dock in the harbour, staring out beyond the horizon, pondering the possibilities. He reached for his wrist and held his arms together, as a child might do as he stands in front of a classroom, and presently began to fiddle with a delicate bracelet which he had on. The braided cord came together and attached to a pendant: a single marble intricately wrapped in a twisted, silvery wire; and in darkness, it gave off a soft glow.
Zane watched the stars above him twinkle and flicker in the inky blackness and felt his heart sink with grief.
By the next morning he still had not made up his mind, and the inner conflict was driving him mad. He must have walked over every inch of the town just thinking about what he should do, when the sound of the Robinsons' radio came to his ear.
Mr. and Mrs. Robinson were out in the garden tending to their plants and listening to the news. They were one of the only ones in town who had a son fighting in the war, and they agonised over it every day.
"Repairs are still being made in the eastern provinces that were once under Lord Garmadon's control. There are an estimated thirty people missing, and a hundred and eighty-nine people suffering from malnourishment and physical abuse in Sakura Valley alone. The Imperial Army has stationed several relief corps there to help with what can only be described as in-human torture.
In other news, Skulkin forces have been spotted on the southern side of the Jade River..."
Zane's head hung low. All those men out there, all those people, suffering while he had a potential chance to end it all. A chance for Ron Robinson to come home to his parents early, safe and sound. Of course this was the right thing to do, there wasn't a doubt in his mind, but that wasn't what stopped him from boarding a train that very minute. What troubled him was the authenticity of Wu's word. Could they really defeat Garmadon?
This was the thought that accompanied him throughout the entirety of the day, and when he drifted off into sleep that night.
Again, the dream found him in the darkness and he desperately wished to know more, but then, right as he turned around to face the stranger, he vanished into the darkness beyond.
But wait... he didn't wake up. Was he still asleep?
"Trust Wu..."
Zane's eyes opened at once. Had he merely imagined that, or had he truly heard it?
He sat up and looked about him. His small house was the same as it ever was.

* * *

On the third day, he made his way to the village square where he explained the situation to everyone. He would be leaving for a short while, and in his absence, trusted guards would be put in place to protect them from any dangers. The people were uneasy, to say the least, but as Zane made his rounds, hugging his friends goodbye, they all felt a bit more relaxed.
He packed a single, small bag and then began his journey down the long, gravel road ahead. A few of the children ran after him and walked by his side for a while, but sooner or later they were called back by their mothers. Zane now walked alone.
He reached a small train station within the hour, paid for his ticket, and boarded his train when it arrived an hour later. The ride was fine and uneventful, but Zane felt awfully nervous the farther he got from his home. This was the first time he had ever gone this far away before, and it came to him then that he knew very little outside of Sakana. He became very aware of all the other people in the car and held his case closer, fearing that one of them might try to mug him, or even worse—try to have a conversation with him.
His train came to another, larger station where he got off and bought a second ticket for a train headed to Ninjago City.