Whose Business is it Anyway?

Comincia dall'inizio

"Looney bin?" Of all the things to hone in on, that was the only thing that stuck in Sophia's spinning mind.

"An assylum," Doctor Uthan brushed over it. "Sorry, that's not important. I wound up living with them on Mandalore which is where I met my husband and our daughter. I spent a couple of months there developing an antivirus to the incomplete nanovirus I had made and reversed the accelerated aging process on the clone troopers. And the rest is history."

Sophia's head was still spinning, but she did manage to piece together some of it. "It sounds like you had a fulfilling career."

"It wasn't all that much," she said nonchalantly. "But that does make me wonder; what do a Seperatist scientist and a dinosaur researcher have in common and why are they working together at a military facility on an island on a planet full of dinosaurs for a task force founded by multiple different organizations that just met?"

"Well, we do have a background in genomics and genetic engineering," Sophia started. "There's no telling what kind of medical breakthroughs that can be made with these combined minds and resources."

"And maybe a biological weapon or two," Doctor Uthan smiled cynically. Sophia must have frowned, because the next words out of Ovolot's mouth were, "I'm sorry. You'll have to excuse my little cynical remarks. Spending time trying to commit genocide on an opposing army, locked up, and then around Mandalorians tends to change your outlook on life." Sophia didn't want to misjudge her new colleague, so she mustered up her best Emma-smile.

As soon as she did, the smile's namesake entered behind one of the clones from Pandemic squad, who was looking over some laboratory work being wheeled in by... "Hei," Sophia half greeted half exclaimed. The clone looked up and nodded in acknowledgement then his gaze rested on the woman next to her. Oops she instantly regretted her decision and looked to the doctor apologetically.

"So you're Doctor Uthan," he said with venom in his voice.

"That's right," she said before Sophia could intervene. "I won't apologize for what I've done and I'm not going to shy away from what you have to say."

"I'm not exactly thrilled by what you were trying to do, but I suppose I should thank you," he said, to Sophia's surprise. "You helped give those of us that were left a chance at a normal life." Obviously, Doctor Uthan was taken aback as well, being unable to speak.

To fill the silence, Sophia asked, "So what brings you here, Hei?"

"Just bringing some equipment for you and having my baby brother take a look at it," he said, pointing to the other clone engrossed in his work of inspecting the equipment as Emma looked around the room and finally saw her and waved happily. "I'm also supposed to let you know there's a program being offered to train you lot how to handle a blaster."

"Oh," Sophia felt her smile dim slightly. "Is it mandatory?"

"Not yet," he answered quickly. "But I don't doubt it will be soon enough. Command figured it would be beneficial since our medical and research staff are, statistically, our most vulnerable. Part of the reason En's making sure your kit is safe and hasn't been tampered with."

"Will you be taking part in the instruction, Trooper Hei?" Doctor Uthan smiled.

"Briefly, yes," he nodded. "Only until they can bring proper instructors. I'm surprised you're interested seeing as you married a Mando."

"Oh, I'm not," she chuckled. "Just asking for a friend."

"It's good," En gave the machine a light tap.

"Roger," Hei nodded and addressed Emma. "It's all yours. Sorry for the delay."

"It's okay," Emma chirped. "You're just doing your jobs. Thank you."