four | phantom traveler

Start from the beginning

The three of them chuckled before Sam replied, "No, not by a long shot."

As they neared Jerry's office, he told them, "I got something I want you guys to hear."

* * *

Jerry pressed the eject button to his computer as he told them, "I listened to this. Well, it sounded like it was up your alley." After the put the CD in the disk tray and lightly pressed for it to close, he said, "Normally I wouldn't have access to this. It's the cockpit voice recorder for United Britannia Flight 2485. It was one of ours."

It was then that the disc started playing and they could hear a male voice say, "Mayday. Mayday, repeat. Flight Britannia 2485."

Then a siren could be heard just before the sound of the airplane descending was also heard.

The same voice was heard saying, "We may be experiencing mechanical failure."

Then crackling and a low moaning was heard before the sounds stopped altogether.

Jerry told them, "Took off from here, crashed about two-hundred miles south. Now, they're saying mechanical failure. The cabin depressurized somehow. Nobody knows why. Over a hundred people on board. Only seven got out alive. The pilot was one. His name is Chuck Lambert. He's a good friend of mine. Chuck is, uh, well, he's pretty broke up about it, like it was his fault."

Sam asked him, "You don't think it was?"

Jerry shook his head as he said, "No, I don't."

Sam said to him, "Jerry, we're gonna need passenger manifests, a list of survivors—"

Dean nodded before he said, "Right. And, uh, any way we can take a look at the wreckage?"

Jerry told them, "The other stuff is no problem, but the wreckage— guys, the NTSB has it locked down in an evidence warehouse. No way I've got that kind of clearance."

Katherine raised her eyebrows and muttered some words under her breath, which got Jerry to eye her, while Dean nodded his head as he said, "No problem."

* * *

While they waited for Dean to leave the Copy Jack store, Katherine sat on the hood of Dean's car and occasionally glanced at Sam, who was becoming more and more tense with each passing minute.

After seeing Sam start to flex his fingers and stare at the door for a couple of minutes now without even blinking, she asked him, "You do realize that doing that isn't going to get him to get out here any faster, right?"

Sam quickly looked over at Katherine, who was looking at him with an eyebrow raised, before he said to her, "What?"

She sighed before she told him, "Sam, you were staring at the door like you were expecting him to give in to your silent demands and leave the store. Not only that, but you were also repeatedly clenching your hands. Neither of them are gonna get him out here any faster."

Sam scoffed and was just about to respond to her, only to stop when the door opened and out came Dean, who held open the door for a blonde woman as she entered the store.

As Dean walked towards them, Sam raised his hands and said, "You've been in there forever."

Dean replied, "Okay, one, Katherine, get your ass off the car."

Katherine only smirked at him in response before she slid off the hood of the car and plastered a grin on her face.

Dean rolled his eyes at her before he turned to Sam and said as he held up the three cards he'd made, "And two, you can't rush perfection."