Chapter 10

“Just… let me out of here. Please.” I begged, hitting the wall with my bloodied knuckles. Pain shot through my arms each time my hands hit the wall. “I can’t- I just-“ I felt like I was being closed in on. I could hardly breath through my heaving sobs. The world was spinning around me. 

Everyone was gone. 

Zayn was gone. 

I was alone. 

And I was trapped inside this hell hole. 

I don’t know how long I stayed there, but I sat against the wall opposite of the large painting of Zayn and just stared at him. My mind was probably playing tricks on me due to the sleep deprivation, but I swore that the paining would move and Zayn would change position. Who even knew anymore? I sure didn’t.

The kiss never happened. I was missing time. My mind was making up things as time passed by. If the kiss never happened, then what else hadn’t happened? Did we hold hands? Were his feelings still there? Were mine? 

“No.” I shook my head. “None of this is real.” I held my self with my arms across my chest. Oh what I would give to be held by someone then. It didn’t even have to be Zayn. It could be anyone for all I care. I just didn’t want to be alone. 

It was silent in the hotel and the hallway around me started to darken and change from it’s once pristine look to that of an abandoned building. I tried to ignore it, but then I heard the heavy footsteps again. I looked up through teary eyes and saw that same man walking towards me. He was carrying a large case with him in one hand and in the other he had what looked like a palette. You know, those ones you see in art classes and stuff. He got closer and closer to me, walking slowly down the hall. 

I didn’t care what he did anymore after that. I didn’t care what would happen to me. This place already took everyone else. It might have as well taken me. I had completely given up. “Go ahead.” I told the man as he walked up to me. “Just let me be with them. You can’t just leave me here.” I said, defeated. The man kept walking though. He stepped past me and just kept walking. 

“No.” I got to my feet. “No!” I screamed at the man. “You can’t do that to me! You can’t just leave me with nothing!” I exclaimed, throwing my arms out to my sides. The old man continued down the hall. I ran after him, never really catching up to him. He only turned around and acknowledged me when he finally made it to the door. The same door that Zayn and I were trying to reach. 

“I am not leaving you with nothing.” He spoke eerily slow. “No, Niall Horan. You get to have everything in the end. You’re freedom. You’re life. You’re memories of this place. So I say it again. I am not leaving you with nothing.” That was the last words he said before he opened the door and a very bright light blinded me from seeing what was on the other side. 

“Hey Zayn?”  I asked him while he sat on the water’s edge on the dock that jutted out into the lake. “Do you ever think about what would have happened if-“ I paused, peering out onto the glimmering water. 

“If what, Niall?”  He looked over to me and I swear his skin was glowing golden in the setting sun. I don’t know what happened that moment, but Zayn gasped and smiled. Maybe the sunlight hit me in the perfect spot, making my blue eyes brighten. I didn’t know. He never told me why he suddenly gasped.