In the Closet (Literally)

(The photo above is a base I drew over a long time ago, but forgot existed until a few days ago. Thought it was funny 😂)

Johnny chuckled quietly to himself as he looked left and right, currently standing at the front of his best friend Ponyboy's house. Since the ravenette didn't really attend high school anymore or might not have even been enrolled, he was free to do whatever he pleased while Pony suffered inside the high school. If you are wondering what the dark eyed boy was up to, well, I'll tell you.

Johnny was planning to scare his friend, y'know, like any friend does; it was a prank kind of thing, and he was going to hide somewhere in the other's room, so whenever the brunette walked close enough to him, he'd jump out and scare him. He laughed just thinking about it, it was mainly just for funsies, and he was bored anyways, so why wouldn't this be a good idea?

Johnny had checked his surroundings yet again before taking in a breath, casually walking up to the front door and sneaking inside like he lived there. Well, he was over here more than his own home, but he didn't live there; yet still at the back of his mind, he always hoped he was never bothering anyone. Anyways, the dark skinned boy made sure to take off his probably muddy shoes before walking onto the carpet; carrying them silently with him up the stairs.

Yet, something made him stop in place, he was caught staring at all of the photos that were hanging on the walls of the staircase; and Johnny's somehow never noticed them before. There was one picture frame that just had him zoned out as he looked, it was a picture of all three of the Curtis brothers with their mom and dad; in this specific one though, all of them looked happy and weren't worried about the consequences of the future.

Darrel, the eldest brother of the three, was seen with a grin on his face as his father gave him a friendly rub to his head, the 18 year old boy from a year or two ago trying to smack his hands away happily. Then there was Sodapop on the opposite side, standing beside their outstanding looking mother, a big ol' grin on his face too, the same one he still has now, except the one in the picture was an innocent grin that nobody their age or older could have now.

And last but not least, 12 year old Ponyboy Curtis stood in between the older brothers, a cheesy but cute looking smile on his face too while the dog they used to have licked at his freckly face. Johnny could only stare at him specifically though. Pony was too young to have to deal with the death of his mom and dad, he was only 13, and it hurt him bad. All three of them didn't deserve it, it was unfair, and the pale 14 year old always told him that.

Darry had to quit school after their parents died and started work to pay for bills and had to raise his own brothers, Soda worked too to help with this, and Ponyboy had horrible nightmares that lead to Sodapop having to sleep in the same room as him. Sometimes, the teen would vent to Johnny about all of it, and he'd listen. He felt so bad for them, the whole family, but there's not a whole lot you can do. So, he suggested Pony moved on, not in a mean way if course, thus beginning the star gazing and sunset watching; Ponyboy always said it calmed him, watching the sky turn from blue, to an orange and yellowish hue, then to a starry night sky, all the while speaking to the ravenette as they watched.

Johnny loved it, of course, the close bonding with him and his best friend; but he always felt the need to help his friend, if he had the ability to revive his parents, he'd do it in a heartbeat just to see him truly happy again like he was in that picture. The puppy eyed boy hesitated, but soon allowed his index finger to shakily lean towards the framed photo before his fingertip landed right on the past Pony's cheek; the ravenette dragging it down slowly with no words, just pure silence.

That is of course, until the doorknob to the front door clicked, and there was a creak as the door was pushed open; Johnny flinching away from the photo before running up the stairs, but accidentally dropped a converse onto one of the steps as he snuck up to the rooms - not even thinking about grabbing it, it would ruin the prank! So, he rushed into the room he knew was his friend's, peering around with a quick pace to decide his hiding spot.