Coincidence

"Okay, but, like, it doesn't even feel like you're watching someone play a video game," Ellie says enthusiastically into the camera. "When you watch these guys play, it feels like you're watching an action movie."

     You've been FaceTiming with Ellie for almost two hours and this is probably the sixth time she's talked about these Minecraft Youtubers. You listen to her talk out of politeness, but you're not really paying attention to what she is saying. It was bad enough when you had to listen to Sophie go on and on about these random people on YouTube and their "SMPs" and "Minecraft Mondays" and the latest "MC Championship" results. You don't really want to talk about some people who make a living off of a video game you've never even played, but Ellie puts up with you when you fangirl over crap, so you do her the courtesy of at least pretending to engage.

     "You know, these dudes aren't that much older than we are. Heck, some of them are literal children. And at first when I read that these people make thousands of dollars of revenue playing Minecraft, I couldn't believe it, but like...I get it now. Their videos are freaking addicting. My little brothers are obsessed with this kid...hold on I'm sending you a photo..."

     You almost choke at the image Ellie sends you

     You almost choke at the image Ellie sends you. "You mean to tell me that your little brothers are obsessed with a furry?"

     Ellie rolls her eyes. "Ha, ha. Very funny —"

     "— I mean, I knew that Henry grew really attached to that stuffed polar bear I gave him for his birthday, but if I had known it would get this bad —"

     "HA. Ha. Ha ha. You're hilarious. Not the furry, you dimwit. The blonde kid standing next to the furry."

     You glance at the kid in the image and shrug. "Yeah, looks like a blonde kid to me. So what?"

     Ellie's eyes go comically wide as she explains the significance of the image. "He's freaking sixteen. And somehow I find him funny to watch. I hate most sixteen-year-old boys!"

     "Wow, that actually is weird. Remember when that sixteen-year-old ran up to us in the school parking lot and poked your butt on a dare? You chased him all the way to his car and then threatened to tear out his organs and force his friends to eat them. A very creative threat, by the way."

     Ellie grins at the memory. "Serves him right. He looked like he was going to pee himself out of fear. He and his friends never crossed my path again." As you watch Ellie laugh through a screen, you feel your heart break a little more at the thought that you probably won't see her again for months at least.

     How would you survive a place as terrifying and huge as UCF without Ellie? There were around 70,000 (!!!) students at UCF, and not a single one of them would be Ellie.

     "Hey! Are you still listening to me? You have that worried look on your face. What's up?"

     You sigh and meet the digital eyes of your best friend. "I'm freaked out, Ell. I feel like UCF will eat me alive," you admit. Ellie just rolls her eyes at your confession and dismissively waves her hand. "You? Freaked out? I'm the one who should be freaking out! You left me here to fend for myself at our humble hometown university where literally all of the awful people from high school are going. You get to have a brand-new adventure!"