National teams sang their country’s’ anthem prior to kick-off, but some teams, most notable the New Zealand All Blacks, did a Haka. The Haka fascinated me and I watched rapt on YouTube as the teams did the traditional dance. It signified a war cry, a challenge to the opposing team. Having read up on the All Blacks’ statistics, I think most nations should have their own version of the Haka… the All Blacks were the best team in the world and had a formidable winning record.

“The ‘rules’?” Chris gave me a lopsided smile and a shake of the head. “In rugby, we don’t have rules. We have laws.”

I frowned both from confusion and annoyance. Aren’t rules and laws the same thing? They both gave sanctions if the players went against them. And did Chris really have to say it in that patronizing tone? I’d already explained to him that I didn’t know much about rugby, but I’d tried really hard to learn for him. He should be impressed, at least a little.

“Fine, laws,” I say through a tight smile. “Ok, here’s what I learnt. A try is worth five points, a conversion two, penalties and drop kicks are worth three, right?

“Forward kicks and lateral passes are allowed, but forward passes aren’t. The sanction is a penalty to the other team. Eight forwards per team make up the scrum after an infraction, such as a knock on. If the ball goes into touch, then there’s a line out. Anything I missed?”

Chris gawped at me as I stood, collecting my belongings and made for the library exit. The bell for end of period was due in three minutes, so after throwing all my morning books in my locker and stashing away my satchel, I headed for the cafeteria just as TJ and Colton Spiller arrived.

“You looked pissed,” TJ noted as he stepped aside and let me get ahead of him in the line. I grabbed my usual salad just as TJ placed a plate of fries on my tray. I frowned down at them and moved them to his tray. He laughed. “They aren’t that bad.”

“I’m sure they’re not,” I say as politely as I could. There was no point getting mad with TJ when he hadn’t been the one to annoy me. “They just aren’t going anywhere near my stomach.”

I pay for lunch and walk towards my table. I say in the corner and stuffed a piece of green pepper in my mouth. I sighed when Colton and TJ sat on either side of me, trapping me in. I just hope to God that neither of them asked…

“Are you ok?” Colton enquired, gaining a cold stare from me in return. He held up his hands defensively. “Whoa, Cate. I think you just killed me.”

I grumbled, mentally slapped myself and shot him an apologetic smile. “Sorry, Colton. Just… why are boys such idiots? I mean, I thought I did pretty well learning about a sport that I have zero interest in, and so what if I called them rules instead of laws? Couldn’t he just appreciate that I did something nice for him? No. Boys suck.”

I liked venting, but with the amused look the boys shared, I knew I was venting to the wrong people. I needed Georgie, but she wasn’t around, so I had to make do with Colton and TJ. Colton gave his friend a hand gesture which silently meant he was passing the buck to TJ, who looked at me with an unimpressed scowl.

“If he couldn’t appreciate what you’d done for him,” he says frankly, “then he isn’t worth your time.”

I huff. “But he’s… never mind.”

What I wanted to say was ‘But he’s Theo.’ It was my default setting when it came to Chris and it would be the reason I’d forgive him all his sins, but for now, that was a secret that only I knew. I couldn’t tell Colton and TJ about my mystery guy in the closet because they’d think I was a freak, so I let the topic drop.