23:32

I run for the closet and pull the door behind me quickly, hoping that Adam didn’t just see me. After our messy break-up, I hadn’t quite recovered enough to face him especially if his new girlfriend was here with him. That would make this evening suck even more than it had already.

I hate high school parties. Until tonight I had avoided them like the plague, because I have seen every teen movie there is and senior parties don’t look that appealing. Drink, drugs and depraved sex? I think I’ll pass on that. Plus, my father would kill me if I stumbled home drunk, high or pregnant. My best friend, Georgie, however would throw a party in my honor. Georgie Sanderson is my total opposite, as well as my soul mate. We’ve been friends since forever and despite our polar social standings, Georgie has continued to be my friend, even when everyone else called me a freak behind my back- and to my face.

When Adam broke up with me, it was Georgie that picked me up from the floor, dusted me off and got me to see that boys like Adam aren’t worth my tears. Since before Christmas vacation, Georgie has been on a mission to get me to embrace what high school is all about- being the best four years of my life. I’m three years behind schedule, but I’m pretty sure that Georgie could get us caught up just out of sheer determination.

I press my ear against the door and wait until I hear Adam’s voice pass; a girl giggling at whatever he just said makes my heart ache that tiny bit more. From what I had heard after our break-up, Adam had met his new girlfriend at a party just like this one months before I found out that he was a cheating scumbag. By then I had already heard most of the story from Georgie. When I’m sure that Adam has rounded a corner and disappeared into the crowd, I let out a breath that I wasn’t aware I was holding.

“That was close,” I mumble to myself as I sigh.

Suddenly a rustling behind me makes me jump and I almost scream, more so when a boy’s voice starts to speak.

“Thank God you’re a girl,” he laughs nervously. “It would have been really awkward to have to explain why I’m holed up in a closet with a dude.”

I throw myself against the door and fumble for the handle, but there isn’t one. Why the hell isn’t there a handle in here? Oh my God, I’m stuck in a closet with a total stranger.

“Chill out,” the voice sounds bored as he speaks. I try to work out where his voice comes from but I draw a blank. “The only way out of here is if someone opens the door from the outside. Luckily for you, my friend is coming to my rescue in about half an hour, so why don’t you take a seat and relax.”

Relax? That’s funny.

Where’s the light switch? I palm the wall on either side of the door frame with my hand but I come up short. Apparently there’s no light in here. Could this night get any worse for me?