Chapter 8

I get home just as rain starts to drop from the sky. It was still humid out as the blue skies turned grey. My moms car was gone meaning she was picking up my dad. I throw my bike onto the ground and rush through the door. I notice jack isn't home so I go upstairs and shower and put on a change of clothes.
After brushing my hair I head down stairs to see Jack coming through the door.
"You look gross," I comment after noticing his appearance after the rain.
"Thanks so do you," he says rolling his eyes and making his way to the couch.
"Where did you go?" I ask.
"None of your business," he says angrily.
"Damn what's your issue? Another skateboarding fall?" I say trying to get on his nerves.
"Just shut up. I don't like you."
"Gosh someone really woke up on the wrong side of the bed today and by the way," I start.
"I SAID SHUT UP CASSIDY" he screams.
I jump back a little bit.
"What is your problem" I say getting annoyed.
"Don't make me repeat myself," he says sitting on the couch.
"Whatever. Anyways dads coming today," I say.
"Well no shit sherlock. Why are you so excited," he says laying down.
"I mean he is our father. And he is the only one nice to me,"
"Maybe if you were more like able others would care. And I really can't believe your stupidity," Jack says.
"What do you mean?" I ask confused.
"Seriously? God Cass, don't you think it's weird how he is constantly away on 'trips'," he says putting quotation marks on trips.
"It's called work Jack. It's normal,"
"I'm just saying. He probably won't be here too much longer,"
"That's not true. Don't say that," I say getting mad.
"You just don't want to face the truth, it makes sense. For all we know he has a whole second family."
"No you just get mad because the one time someone actually cares about me, you get mad."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Really? First you are trying to make me believe dad is a cheater and then every time I bring up noah you have something bad to say. Well guess what jack, you aren't the only one capable of being liked. I don't even know how you have a girlfriend," I say.
"No you just get jealous of me because I'm the favorite and the one everyone prefers," he argues.
"Whatever how about you go spend time with your girlfriend. What's her name again?"
"Shut up Cassidy," he says angrily.
Then it finally clicked. As I walked over to the kitchen I explain.
"Oh i see. You got dumped," I laugh. "That sucks,"
"I'm aware, least I was dating someone,"
"Keyword: was," I said deciding not to bring up Noah.
Jack walks over to the kitchen where I am sitting grabbing an apple. He stands right across from me.
"And you wonder why you aren't in our friend group anymore. You are annoying. Do you want me to spell it out for you? You don't deserve any friends and selfish," he says leaning closer to me from across the counter.
That's when I slapped him. I didn't think I actually would but my hand just met his face.
I widened my eyes after realized what I just did.
"What the hell-"
Thankfully, the door opened and my parents came walking in. We both looked at them with the same facial expression, wide eyed and mouth slightly opened.
"Dad!" I exclaim running up to give him a hug.
My mom gives us a cautious look as jack walks up behind me.
I try to ignore what Jack said about my dad, because it couldn't be true. We start to catch up about everything, Jack and I managed to not talk directly to each other.
It's been a few hours and we had just finished dinner.
"Hey kids, I'm sorry but I have another trip I need to go, I have to leave in the morning,"
"But you just got home?" I ask, feeling Jacks 'I told you so' look on me.
"I know, I'm sorry but business is really crazy this time of year," he explains.
I nod.
As my dad walks back downstairs from his shower, I hear a ding.
"Here dad your phone," I say grabbing it.
I find myself glancing at the screen, to see who sent the text.
It was a woman's name with the text saying 'the kids and I miss you!❤️'
My heart dropped as I read it. It couldn't be real. I stopped walking and looked up to him.
"Who was it?" He asks clearly unaware.
I look over to Jack who's sitting on the couch.
"You were right," I say holding back tears.
I walk upstairs to my room after giving my father his phone back.
I didn't know what to think.
He lied to us for so many years. He has a second family who he is with more.
One person in my life who cared about me, was playing a two sided game this whole time.
I laid in my bed looking up at the ceiling. Tears started flowing down my face. My parent screaming filled my ears.
I did the only think I could think of. I FaceTimed Noah.
"Hey Cass!"
"Oh my god what's wrong?" He says, his happy mood quickly changing into a concerned toned.
"Noah" I cry.
"My dad- he he cheated," I say between cries.
"Oh, Cassie I'm so sorry."
"He has a whole other family and and he is yelling with my mom right now and he's leaving again to live with them," I manage to make out, my voice breaking when I say 'them'.
"You're going to be okay, I promise. I know it's hard, but you are the strongest person I ever met." He says.
"But I need him," I let out.
"No you don't Cass. And one day he is going to realize how he needs YOU. Okay? You don't need him. You are perfect,"
"I wasn't good enough to make him stay," I stay starting to wipe my tears.
"That's all his loss. I am so incredibly sorry. But you are not a bad person and this was not your fault. He made a awful choice that hurt you and your family. And I'm so sorry that you feel that hurt, you don't deserve it. But don't chase after him, he doesn't understand what an amazing person he could of had in his life. Please don't ever change, not for me or anyone else," Noah goes on.
"I love you Noah," I say without thinking.
My face got hot, but you couldn't tell from all my crying.
"I love you too Cass," he says with no hesitation.
I smile.
"Thank you, really. But I'm going to go," I say.
"No problem, let me know if you need anything," he replies.
I smile before saying goodbye. Once I shut off my phone I lay on my bed. Tears start to fill my eyes once again.
hear a soft knock at the door.
I quickly wipe my eyes, not that it does much help,
and tell them to come in. I hear the door open a crack, expecting it to be my mom. But it wasn't. It was Jack.
"Hey," he says walking in sitting on my bed.
"Hi," I say sitting up.
We just look at each other for a little bit until I break down once again.
To my surprise, I feel jacks arms wrap around me.
I cry into his shoulder.
"Cass, it's going to be okay, I promise," he says trying to comfort me.
After a minute of hugging,
"Is it too early to tell you it told you so'" Jack says as we pull away.
"A little bit," I laugh.
He smiles at me. For the fire time in forever,  I was genuinely happy with Jack.

sorry for the long wait!!! also this book isn't very good but I'm working on it.
Also!!! I have a new book out which is a stranger things book that takes place in season 1! For some reason, writing twins is easier for me, so you play mikes twin!! And your character is kinda similar to this one- go check it out!!
And thank you for all your support!!!!