Starting new

Jon pov

I know how we started was wrong but I guess I was trying to keep myself closed off, seeing as I'm not too good when it comes to relationships. Sitting here now in the truck with her I know she's different than Renee.

Turning left off the main road her phone goes off showing that she got a text. Seeing her roll her eyes at whoever it was she sets her phone back in her lap not bothering to answer. "You gonna answer that?" She shakes her head before replying. "Nope. I don't feel like answering Dax."

I can feel myself tense up at her comment. Who's Dax and why does he need to get her a hold of Ashlee? I try not to let it bother me too much but I can't help it. "We're here." That all I say as I pull up to The Lookout and turn off my truck. I can see her eyes light up at the view in front of us. The small bar overlooks the Las Vegas skyline and the best part is, there's only a hand full of people who know about it.

"What is this place?" Ashlee has a look of amazement on her face as she takes in the view. "It's called The Lookout. My buddy Mayson started it shortly after we left Cincinnati. That's a story for another day though. Come on lets head inside." I make my way to the door holding it open for her just because it seemed like the right thing to do.

We make our way to the bar and my drink is already sitting there seeing as Mayson saw me come in and I've been drinking with him since I was 15.

Ashlee's pov (sorry for the pov change.)

We step into bar and I a guy standing behind the bar pouring what looks like a whiskey neat and thinking about it I realize that was what Jon was drinking the other night. I put two and two together and know that it's most likely Mayson. He's tall maybe 6'3 or 6'4 with jet black hair and piercing green eyes.

"What's up Jon its been a minute." His voice was smooth, dark and it sounded like honey. While he's talking to Jon I wave over the other bartender ordering myself a Coors Light and a shot of tequila. No, it's not usually what I drink but I don't want to get to messed up tonight.

After being handed my beer I turn back to Jon seeing that he's giving me a puzzling look. "What's that look for?" He just shakes his head and takes a drink before answering. "I didn't take you for a beer drinker, much less Coors." I'm actually not too surprised by this I don't look like someone who would drink beer.

"Well, we learn something new every day, don't we. It was either this or whiskey and I don't feel like getting fucked up tonight." He just laughs and nods his head in understanding. his eyes widen in amusement as I down the rest of my beer. What can I say I was thirsty. The bartender hands me another and I thank him.

Turning back to the two men next to me I see, who I assume is Mayson but don't know for sure, eye me up and down. His eyes linger a little longer on my wrist and forearm taking in my tattoo. "It reminds me that no matter how far I fall and how bad I needed it to end that you have to find beauty in the pain. Hence the dagger wrapped in thorns and roses." He nods at my words.

"I didn't mean to bring up any bad memories I just was appreciating the work. The detail is really good, I'm Mayson by the way." I nod knowing what he was doing before he told me. I can see ink littering his arms. "Thanks, my brother-in-law did it he owns a shop over on Cheyenne. His name is Dax Miller I can give you his card if you want." I could feel Jon's eyes on me and he has a defeated look on his face, although I'm not too sure what that's all about. Shortly after our conversation, Mayson gets called over by another customer. We had only been talking for a few minutes but he seemed pretty cool.

"Okay, you wanted to start over so let's start over." He nods his head taking a drink. I don't really know where to start this conversation but I guess he doesn't either so we both stay silent, that is until he asks a question that I have kind on been dreading. "Why did you get into wrestling?"

I take a deep breath before answering, "It's a long story." He nods, "I've got time." I sigh knowing I'm not getting out of this question. "When I was 4 my parents were killed by a drunk driver and my grandparents were out of the picture. So my sister and I, who was 7 at the time, bounced from house to house in foster care. When I was about 8 my sister Layla and I got split up and after a while, I just stopped talking."

I have to stop so I can catch my breath. No one besides Dax knows this story and that's because he's married to my sister. I take a drink before I start talking again. "When my sister turned 16 she was able to get out of the system and spent about 2 years trying to find me but by this point, I had left the house I was staying at. I wound up living with Jake, trying to go to school and keep a job. You know the rest of the story."

Jon stays quiet for a few minutes trying to take in what I said. Slowly I see him nod his head in understanding. "I had no idea. I get why you're doing what you're doing. I actually have a similar story." (Ok this next part might not follow Jon's actual story so don't correct me if I don't have something wrong I know it won't all be accurate. I was making this up as I go. We all know he doesn't like people in his personal life.)

I nod telling him to continue I know some of his story, but some of it could just be rumors. He finishes his drink before going on. "My dad was an abusive piece of shit and a drunk. One night when I was about 10 he came in wasted and started to beat my mom who at the time had just been making dinner. I watched him smash a glass from the table over her head. I made the decision to step in and try and stop him. I was no stranger to pain but I had never been knocked out for so long. I guess it was about 45 minutes later when I came to. When I got up the house was in shambles and my dad was passed out on the floor... but so was my mom." He takes a deep breath trying to calm himself down. "I don't know how but I was able to stagger my way the phone and call for help. When they found us my mom still hadn't woken up and they found out she was strung out on meth so they took me away but I was too old to go into the system. I was too old to go into the system so I was on my own, that's when I found a gym about a mile from my old house. So I trained then found CZW and I'm assuming you know the rest." I nod confirming his assumption.

The air around us is thick as we both take in the other's story. I knew he had a hard life but I had no idea that it was that bad. I guess that's why he was so frustrated that someone was copying him. I wave the bartender over ordering a shot of Jack Daniels and tequila. Hoping to lighten the mood I raise my shot, "To fucked up childhoods and fresh starts." I hear him let out a chuckle and raise his shot to mine.

We down our drinks but as we do I can see that there's something he wants to ask. "What do you want to know Jon I can see curiosity written on your face?" He nods before asking a question I never have been asked. "If you don't talk to your sister why do talk to your brother-in-law?" This is definitely a question for the books.

"Dax was a friend of mine before he met Layla. He actually helped me train for a few years. The day she met him was the same day I caught Jake cheating on me. She came to pick me up from the gym and when I saw her I made up a bullshit excuse as a way to get away from her. I guess when I left she stayed. One day a few years down the road I get a call from Dax saying that he and Layla are getting married and moving to Vegas. I kept in touch with him but as far as I know, he never told her I was in the area." By the look on his face, I can tell that wasn't the answer he was expecting but he just lets is go which I'm thankful for.

He pulls out his wallet laying 40 on the bar before grabbing my hand and pulling me toward the door. "Come on I want to show you something." With that, we hop in the truck and pull away from the bar. I honestly have no idea what's about to happen.

====================================

OMG, that was an intense chapter. Now you know the rest of Ashlee's story and Jon's for that matter. Where do you think he's taking her? Hopefully, I'll be able to write a lot more now that things are starting to calm down, and thank you so much for almost 2000 reads. keep them coming, please.

With love Ash❤️