#FIVE

It was raining heavily when Ettie, Sasha and Adelaide came out of the dining hall after lunch on Saturday. Ettie opened her transparent umbrella and the trio huddled under it. The cold wind was biting at them, and the girls had to hurry to the library. She could barely shake off the butterflies that had accumulated in her stomach. She was distracted by Leo. Something hit home and Ettie couldn't pull her eyes from Leo. She pushed the thought out of her mind, appalled at her thought. The butterflies vanished instantly.

On the weekends, students were allowed to go to the nearby town, but only groups of four or more. They could also have free time all day, with meals being served for an hour each. But because of the rain, all students had to stay within school grounds.

Adelaide, Ettie and Sasha opened the large glass door of the library and walked in. Warmth instantly enveloped them. Ettie closed her umbrella and shook off some of the water. Sasha and Adelaide were already heading into the high - ceiling library. Most of the tables were occupied by students already.

'Wait for me!' Ettie called and jogged to catch up. She was scanning to see where they could sit when her eyes caught on someone. They were sitting at the back, with their nose in a book.

Ettie's blood turned cold before anger started to boil in her. Her breaths came out in deep, almost grunts.

'Ettie, you okay? What are you doing?' Adelaide asked jokingly.

'I'm sorry. Please excuse me for a second.' Ettie said before storming off towards the person. Getting closer, she had no doubt it was him. Taking a seat opposite him, she slammed her hand on the table just quiet enough that nobody paid attention. The boy kept reading.

'What are you doing here?' She hissed, leaning forward. Her nails were digging into her palms like they always did when something stressed her out. She was sure there were eyes digging into her from somewhere.

The boy looked up from his book, a fringe with a middle parting framing his face. Then he returned his attention back to his book. He always reminded Ettie of a white fox, mainly because of his appearance.

'Alistair! What are you here?' Ettie repeated fiercely, her false accent slipping away.

'Hello, Ettie. I thought you'd be pleased to see me.' Alistair said casually, a small, mischievous smile etched into his pale face.

'Just give me a straight answer. Please?' Ettie urged, looking around if anyone was listening. 'Why are you here?'

'Your father sent me.' he said simply, keeping his eyes on his book.

Ettie's eyes were wide with anger now. It took all her efforts not to yell. 'What? Why?'

Alistair put down his book and sighed. 'Your father told my father to send me here. They both agreed that that way I can protect you. When you told Miss Maria about the false fire drill and the mysteriously locked door, she told your parents, who made the decision.'

He shrugged and was getting back to his book when Ettie started to speak.

'But I'm not in any danger! I never was, and I never will be. I know how to look after myself. And besides, have you heard of kidnapped princess in the twenty-first century? No one does that kind of thing anymore. Other than kidnapping, what other harm can I come to? Really, my father just overreacted.' Ettie rambled the speech quickly and quietly, looking around again to see if anyone was close.

'Ettie, there were kidnappings. Many young members of royal families have been kidnapped. None of them has been found yet. The prince of Austria was reported missing on Monday, as did the princess of Denmark. According to my dad, he suspects our kingdom will be next. And you're the only heir. They'll be after you next.' There was a note of urgency in Alistair's voice as she spoke.