Misunderstood (Part Two)

Start from the beginning

Sandor was waiting in her doorway, arms crossed, the dirtiest look she'd ever seen on him plastered across his face.

"And where," he practically spat, "were you?"

Sophie felt her cheeks heat up. "I was... well, I was—"

Just as she ran out of words to say, Flori scuttled around Sandor and got in between them. "This isn't her fault, Sandor. I let her go. She's not to blame here."

Sandor scoffed. "She should know better! Sneaking off like that was the perfect opportunity for the Neverseen to come after her and make their move!" He sighed wearily, his stance sagging as he rubbed his grey forehead, looking tired. "I knew I shouldn't have left her with only one bodyguard while I went out on patrol. I knew..."

Sophie ducked her head, a wave of shame washing over her like the ocean in Maine over the beach. "I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't do that anymore. I thought it was urgent."

Sandor opened his mouth to respond, eyes narrowed, but Flori cut him off. "That's alright, Sophie. We can talk about it some more when you get home. You don't want to be late!"

Sandor growled and stomped off, grumbling things like "weakling gnomes" and "death wish." But when Sophie had an overnight bag packed, he followed her up to the cupola all the same, Flori following with an amused twinkle in her eye, and the three clasped hands as Sophie called down the crystal for Everglen.

When they re-appeared in front of the glowing golden gates mere seconds later, Sophie almost stumbled back in surprise as the gates swung open, almost knocking Sandor over like a domino, and Biana rushed out with a crazed look that vaguely resembled a grin on her face, grabbing her wrist in a vice-like grip and dragging her toward the castle-like house. "Sophie, finally! We've been waiting for you! I just got a HUGE scoop today on Tam— Linh spilled the tea— and y—" She stopped short (talking and walking) when she actually decided to look at Sophie's face. "Okay, what's wrong? You're making your worrying face that makes everyone want to crawl into a hole and hide until it goes away."

Sophie snorted. That's exactly what she wanted to do. Right then, as a matter of fact. "I'm fine, Biana. Really."

Biana did not look convinced.

"What were you saying about Tam?" Sophie said quickly, hoping her friend would take the bait. She was a smart girl; this could go badly if she called Sophie out on trying to distract her.

Though she gave Sophie a concerned once-over, Biana took the bait. Sophie had to hold back a huge sigh of relief as Biana hopped back into motion and dragged her through doors and halls and up many stairs, chattering about what she'd missed since she'd been a little late. She forced herself to focus on the news about Tam, since that seemed like something she might need to pay attention to just in case, and learned that Linh, being the first — and sort of early — arrival had told only Biana the mysterious news about her brother so far; they'd been waiting for her before telling anyone else so they could all be shocked together or something. It wasn't like there were many more people to shock, though, unless you counted the Fitz and Keefe, who Sophie hoped would keep their distance. It was just supposed to be Biana, Linh, Marella, and Sophie.

The next two hours were a whirlwind of activity that Sophie could barely keep up with. It felt like there were way more than four of them in Biana's room as Biana, Linh, and Marella raced around, helping each-other pick out gowns from Biana's wardrobe and apply makeup to each-others' faces that looked like a professional had done it. Sophie was only able to sit back and watch (and be attacked with hairbrushes and makeup wands and dresses, of course), since her makeover skills were absolutely none.