An Interesting Interview (Part One)

In this part, the Keeper Crew is cornered into an interview by a crazy human girl (*cough* me *cough*) which she is going to video and post on her YouTube channel. And she has a mysterious threat over them, so they have to answer everything. I may or may not reveal it by the end. Enjoy :)

- - -

"Welcome to my home," Hope said brightly, moving behind the large group to usher them in. Hesitantly, they obeyed. But Sophie was so annoyed. Who did this girl think she was to hold something so huge over their heads just for some stupid interview? They needed to be in the Lost Cities right now. What if something happened while they were gone?

"Take a seat," the girl instructed happily, motioning toward the small living space— small compared to Havenfield, at least. For humans, this was about average.

Glancing around at her options as the others slowly sat, she made the executive decision to not sit next to Keefe. Hope had gotten this look in her eyes when she talked about how excited she was to question them. Mostly it was the way she clearly kept glancing between the two of them with a maniacal grin on her face making her nervous. So she sat down next to Dex, who gave her a lopsided grin of encouragement. She decided to take whatever encouragement she could get.

Minutes later, the camera was set up on a black stand, and Hope was seated in a wooden chair across from everyone. She'd already pressed the record button. So, any second now, the inevitable doom would be coming. No, not being exposed to the entire human world; being questioned about personal things.

"Well, my dear, beloved audience, I'm absolutely ECSTATIC to introduce to you some guests we have here today! Meet, from left to right across the room, Linh Song, Tam Song, Biana Vacker, Dex Dizznee, Sophie Foster, Marella Redek, Fitz Vacker, and Keefe Sencen. For those of you that recognize these celebrities, NOPE, THIS AIN'T NO COSPLAY. It's for real! And, nope, can't reveal how I got them to meet with me. That's a secret between me and them. Besides, Sophie glared at me until I promised," she said with a chuckle. And, to Sophie's annoyance, she heard Keefe snicker quietly across the room. How was that funny? At all?

"Ah, alright, so let's start our reeeally long list of questions with the obvious one," she continued with a smirk. "Sophie..."

The hesitation surprised Sophie. The girl didn't seem like the type to hesitate. What surprised her more was the way she glanced at Keefe, who watched in confusion. Finally, after a long second, she proceeded.

"Ahem... Sophie, how have you not realized by now that Keefe is so in love with you?" She looked at the camera apologetically. "Sorry to the anonymous person who provided said question, I can't call Fitz trash on camera."

Sophie's eyes widened.

Then she burst out in hysterical laughter.

"What's so funny?" Keefe asked, attempting a smirk and a raise of the eyebrows, but it looked forced. She could see right through him: he was feeling injured.

Quickly pulling herself together, she attempted to fix the mess Hope had just made with a few simple words. "Sorry, it's just that— How could that be true? Sounds like fake news to me."

"You didn't answer the question," Hope reminded in a sing-song voice, giving Sophie a huge grin that said I regret nothing.

"Fine, here's my answer," Sophie managed through her clenched-teeth smile. "I didn't realize, because it's clearly not true. We're friends, and that's it. I'd know if it were more than that, and I'm being honest when I say I haven't noticed any behavior that would indicate affection for me."

"You talk so nerdy when you're nervous," Biana said with a giggle.

"I do not!" Sophie retorted, then remembered she was on camera and decided staring at her shiny flats was safer.

"Okay, next question," Hope decided, staring down the group one by one until her gaze landed on Fitz. "Okay. Fitz Vacker, is it true that you almost committed a murder, and would have if it weren't for the prevention of your friends? And is it true that Sophie, after you broke up with her, said she'd rather be friends, and implied she would've preferred to be friends in the first place and never dated you?"

"I— What is this?" he demanded, clenching his fists. Sophie wasn't far behind him, but she held her cool. There was a lot at stake if they didn't behave for this. She quickly transmitted a reminder of this to Fitz, and he took several deep breaths before responding.

"Okay. To your first question, the murder would have been right. My brother is a terrible person, and he doesn't care what happens to the people around him as long as he gets what he wants. That said, murdering is wrong, under certain circumstances, and if Alvar had, say, been unarmed—"

"Um..." Keefe started to interrupt, but Hope was quicker.

"Uh, Fitz, you didn't answer the other one about Sophie!"

"Ah," he said with a sigh. "Right. Yes, it's true. And I have no further comment on the matter."

"That's comment enough," Hope said rather quietly toward the camera with a smirk. Then she turned back to the group. "Next question! And this one's for all of you to decide individually. Don't worry, these next ones should be a little less mean. But our audience submitted most of these questions, so I can't promise your safety!"

She went through a stack of small papers before pulling one out with an "Aha!" and set the others on the small table next to her. "Here's your next question: of all the elvin foods and desserts, which is your favorite?"

Oh, that was so not fair. Sophie hadn't tried nearly enough of the elvin foods to say fairly, but just enough to have many tied favorites. What could she say?

Maybe just letting everyone else go first would give her time to think.

"Mallowmelt," Dex and Biana announced in unison, then blushed. Apparently that was unplanned.

"Ah yes, I think we've all heard about this delicious dessert, and seen both your personal loves and dedication for it," Hope commented with a smile. "Anyone else?"

"Hmm... I'd have to say... dunno, give me a minute," said Fitz thoughtfully.

"Butterblasts," Keefe decided with a grin seconds later. "They're juuust right."

"And I'd have to say... they're all my favorites, so deal with it," Marella declared, crossing her arms defiantly. Sophie almost giggled. Almost. But she was still too annoyed for joy just yet.

"I might just have to agree with Marella," Fitz admitted, sounding more defeated than she had, which actually did make Sophie snicker.

"Well I, for one, am not addicted to sugar," Tam said matter-of-factly, but couldn't quite hide his teasing smile. "You wouldn't remember the name if I told you, so I'll just tell you that Sophie informed us that it tasted like pizza."

"I knew you were a pizza person!" Hope commented with a laugh.

Then all eyes fell on Sophie and Linh.

After the two admitted there was no way they could choose, though Sophie secretly decided on custard bursts afterward, Hope moved on.

"The next question is..." She dragged out the last word as she rummaged through the papers, then finally pulled one out. "If you could have one pet of any species, what would you have?"

This time everyone knew almost right away what they wanted. Sophie said a cat (and was NOT ashamed), Fitz said a pteranodon, Biana said an alicorn, Dex said a gremlin (to which Hope chuckled), Linh said a murcat while staring adoringly at a picture of her little pet, Tam said an emphasized "no pets," and Marella said jokingly that all she'd ever wanted was the Extremely Deadly Viper (to which Hope demanded where she'd gotten some series called A Series of Unfortunate Events).

"Oooo, this next question's quite the doozy..." Hope said rather nervously, looking around the room to meet every person's eye. "Are you ready?"