Homemade (Part Two)

"Where've you been all day?" Grady asked with a laugh as Sophie and Edaline trudged out of the kitchen, flour in their hair, on their hands, and... pretty much everywhere they went.

Sophie, not caring that she was a mess, plopped down on the chair next to Grady in the cozy sitting area at Havenfield and sighed, banging her head against the spot where her head rested on it.

When Sophie didn't answer, Edaline did so for her, and Sophie would've hugged her if she wasn't so stiff. "We just came back from an all-day baking marathon. Sophie wanted to try out a recipe, and since we never get our mother-daughter time, I naturally accepted her invitation to join her. Little did I know a recipe I'd never heard of would take so long to figure out," Edaline said with a laugh, sitting down on the other side of Sophie which caused a huge cloud of flour to puff up around them.

"Eda," Grady coughed, waving at the particles by his face, "what happened exactly? You're usually a much... tidier baker."

"Turns out it was a human recipe," Edaline replied, throwing a playful glare Sophie's way, "and their terms of measurement are different from ours. I've also learned today that Sophie doesn't remember all the details on human baking measurements. So, naturally, it was a very different experience."

Both Grady and Edaline cracked a smile at her, and Sophie rolled her eyes. "Don't look at me like that. I was twelve!"

"With a photographic memory," Grady pointed out, his smile widening.

"W-well, I'm not perfect!" Sophie retorted defensively.

After Grady and Edaline got out their laughter and assured her they'd only been teasing and they knew she wasn't perfect, Sophie decided she'd had enough of that and excused herself to deliver her treats. And, no matter how many times her parents and bodyguards demanded to know who the recipient was as she headed up to the leapmaster, she refused to reveal her secret. Or the name of the treats.

It was pretty much given away, though, when she called for the crystal to the Shores of Solace. But all Grady told her was, "Don't stay out too long. We need your help giving Verdi her bath."

Sophie grimaced at the idea, remembering how she'd suffered the last time around, and tried to push it out of her mind as she took a deep breath for courage, and stepped into the light.