Under the Sunset

Alex's POV

I woke up extra early this morning, already looking forward to this evening. I planned to make breakfast in bed for John and then ask him on a date. I grabbed my glasses from my bedside table and picked out some clothes. By the time I was dressed, it was already half-past nine.

However, I didn't need to worry about John waking up, because he always sleeps in until at least ten. I walked into the kitchen and started rummaging through the cabinets for pancake mix. To be honest, I can't stand pancakes, I'm more of a waffles kind of person. John, however, loves pancakes more than life itself.

I rubbed butter carefully over the pan, making sure not to put in too much. John's told me multiple times that he hates when there is too much butter. I poured in just enough batter to make one pancake and then went to go sit on the couch until it was ready.

I grabbed the remote and turned on The Simpsons, one of the all time best cartoons, at least in my opinion. A few minutes later, I heard Michael sit down next to me. We both sat there in a comfortable silence, just enjoying the show.

When the timer finally rung, I wanted to just sink further into the couch cushions. Sitting down just felt too nice. But I forced myself to get up anyways. As I fixed another two pancakes, I thought about how rewarding it would be when I surprised John.

I smiled. God, I'm so in love with him.

When all the pancakes were ready, I carefully stacked them, poured on a bit of syrup, and put a few blueberries on top. I smiled at down at my work. Beautiful.

I poured some orange juice and then set everything on a dark red tray. I grabbed the ends of the tray and slowly began walking out of the kitchen and down the hall to John and I's shared dorm room.

When I got there, I quietly pushed open the door and made my way into the room. I sat on the edge of his bed and looked down at my sleeping boyfriend. He's way more beautiful than these pancakes.

I gently placed a hand on his arm.

"Laurens, wake up," I whispered.

John's eyes fluttered open, and he looked up at me. He sat up, and that was when I revealed the tray of food.

"Thank you so much, Alex!" he exclaimed, grabbing the tray from me. Right before he was about to take a bite, John wrapped his arms around me and whispered, "I love you, Lexi," in my ear.

I blushed.

"Um, do you wanna go on a date tonight?" I asked kindly. Laurens grinned.

"Hell yeah!"

I leaned down to kiss his cheek, and then as I was walking out, I called over my shoulder, "We leave at six!"

When I reentered the living room, Jeremy and Michael were sitting on the couch, still watching TV.

"What are you so happy about?" Jeremy questioned.

I grinned. "I've got a date with my boyfriend tonight," I said proudly.

Michael gave me a thumbs up. "So, who's the lucky guy?" he asked.

"John."

Jeremy gasped.

"Oh my god!" he exclaimed. "Why are we letting you two share a room?!"

Time skip to 6:25

"Where are we going, Alexander?" John questioned as we drove through the city.

"That, my dearest Laurens, is a surprise."

I had carefully wrapped a blindfold over John's eyes, just to make sure he wouldn't guess where we were going. I turned up the radio a bit to fill the silence, after skipping around the stations for a few minutes, I managed to find a song we both liked.

After the song ended, I leaned over and grabbed John's hand.

"We have about thirty minutes left, do you want to listen to a musical?" I asked him.

"Sure. Can we listen to In the Heights?"

"I was just going to suggest that."

So for the last thirty minutes of the car ride, John and I were just listening to In the Heights.

When we finally arrived, I glanced across the car to make sure that John's blindfold was still secure. I got out of the car first and then walked around to help John step out, since he couldn't see and would probably trip.

I wrapped an arm around his waist and helped him out. Together, we walked for a few minutes through the trees, and by the time we emerged, it was near sunset.

I took his blindfold off as we walked out onto the beach. John's eyes widened as he took in the view.

"Look at the sunset, Alex! It's beautiful." John exclaimed, grabbing onto my arm. I wrapped my arms around my boyfriend, and pressed my lips to his ear.

"But not as beautiful as you," I muttered.

John blushed and looked down at his shoes. "But, I have all of these annoying freckles," he whispered.

I gently lifted his chin. "I love your freckles, Laurens."

John smiled, and slowly pressed his lips against mine. I grinned and wrapped my arms around him, as we kissed under the sunset.

Sorry that this was so bad, I've had no motivation and I didn't proofread this either.