Chapter Twelve

The autopsy confirmed our suspicions of cyanide present in both of my parents.   My mother had received just at the lethal dose of the poison.  It seems that whoever tried to kill my parents didn't take my father's size into consideration.  Granted he is not extremely large, but compared to my mother, only standing at 5' 4" and 115 pounds, his 6 foot frame and 190 pounds it would take a higher dose of the drug to actually kill him. 

Also, my mother had alcohol in her system as well as in her stomach.  The coroner concluded that they had ingested the cyanide through the drinks they were having that night.  My father, being sober for 10 years now, most likely received the poison through the soda in his cup.

The more information that came in, the more I wished it hadn't.   The detectives are keeping a closer eye on my dad and I.  They seem to think that whoever did this, will most likely come back to finish what they started. There hasn't been any leads on who it may have been feeding the liquefied death to them, and I honestly wouldn't know who would have a reason to.

"Do you think I could go home for a few hours? I'd really like to get a shower and eat something that isn't delivered in a bag." I practically beged Detective Pearson.   I didn't want to leave my dad, especially right now, but I had to get a break from this place.  That, and I needed to make the difficult decision on what to bury my mother in, seeing as the funeral is in just a few days. 

"I know how hard it is to be in one place this long, but it's gonna be really hard to protect you by myself if something should happen."

"Can't you just call someone from the department or Augustine  to come with us?  Please, I really need to get away from this place for awhile." My begging has no bounds at the moment. 

Thinking long about it, he finally smiled. "Alright.  Its Bry's time off, so I'll call someone." I couldn't hid my excitement.  "But," he held up a finger, "only for a few hours.  I can't have you exposed like that for long. Grab your things, we leave in 10."

"Whoop whoop!" I haven't been this excited in a long time.

Then, it hit me.  I'm going home, a place that I had always considered my safe haven.  How would I handle walking into a house that once belonged to a happy family? How could I walk past the door to my parents room, knowing that my mother would never again sleep there?  How could I eat in the kitchen that held all of our family meals?  This was going to be harder than I thought.

"You coming?" I guess I had pondered longer than I had thought.  

"Oh yeah." No matter how hard it was going to be, I had to get out of here. I would go insane if I stayed here a minute longer.

Grabbing my things, I ran over to my Dad.

"I'll be right back." whisper in his ear. He had been sleeping a lot lately, waking to eat and go to the bathroom.  In the past week we have only had a handful of conversations.  I really missed the way things were.

Jogging over to the door, I smile at  Pearson.

"Thank you Detective."

"You know, I think it's time to start being a little less formal." He states walking down the hall.  "Call me David."

"Ohh first name biases!" I laugh. "Okay David, let's roll!"