Chapter Fifty-four

Start from the beginning

"How long has we been here now?" Tucker asked.

"About an hour longer than the last time you asked." In truth, Hannah had lost track of time.

"He wants me dead, Tucker. The look in his eyes..."

"As terrified as I am, I don't think he does. I think we'd be goners by now if he did. I'm more worried about what they really have planned for us."

"I'm so sorry you're involved in all of this. I tried to get him to let you go, honestly I tried."

"I know, I heard you scream it once or twice. But he's on some kind of mission and nothing you say or do is gonna change that. All we can hope is that someone will notice we're missing come looking for us. Hopefully, Diana notices soon, because if we're waiting for my parents, we'll be here for a while. Hell, as soon as Briggs finds out, he'll turn the bloody world upside down looking for you."

"That's just great isn't it, Briggs to the rescue. Off all the people I want to save us, he is the last on my list."

Tucker gave Hannah a reassuring squeeze. "Now's not the time to be picky, Hannah."

Hannah yawned. "Guess not."

"Look, I've already slept, you haven't. Why don't you try to get your head down for a bit? I'll stay awake and keep watch."

"Well okay, just for a few minutes." With every muscle in her body weary and aching, Hannah moved so that her head was on Tucker's lap, her face turned towards the door and slowly, whilst Tucker stroked her hair, she drifted into the dreamless black.

"Hannah, wake up!" Tucker shook Hannah and she sat up with a start as the door opened inwards.

Melody stood in the doorway, the revolver in her right hand. At her feet was a metal tray which she slid across the floor using her foot. Without a word, she smirked at them, stood back and closed the door. A scraping noise could be heard and then the sound of footsteps slowly disappeared into the distance.

Hannah and Tucker looked down at the tray. On it, sat two bottles of water and two sandwiches wrapped up in film.

"I don't think I can eat that." Hannah said, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"I've eaten worse." Tucker replied, getting down off the bed and collecting the tray. "Here." He held out the food and water and she took it, but left it unopened on her lap.

Peeling back the film, Tucker opened up the sandwich and inspected it.

"Damn it, the crusts are still on. Do you think I can send it back," he said lightly and took a large bite.

Hannah raised her eyes as Tucker devoured it in three mouthfuls.

"You can have mine if you're still hungry. I really can't eat anything."

Hannah opened the bottle of water and took a long drink, whilst Tucker gratefully opened the other sandwich and guzzled that down too.

"Ah! I can't sit here anymore like this." Hannah stood up and began to pace around the room. "How can we get out of here?"

"We can't," Tucker mumbled his mouth full.

"There must be a way." Hannah walked around in a small circle inspecting every surface for means to escape, or anything that could be used as a weapon. It wasn't the first time she'd done this; she kicked out at the tray in frustration. It clattered across the floor and hit the door with a metallic bang.

"Well, if we can't get out, they're going to have to let us out."

"And why, pray tell, are they going to do that?" Tucker asked, taking a swig of water.