You were wrong.

One of the thugs lifted the shotgun he was lugging in his hand, pointing it straight at you and wasting no time before firing a shot. You dropped everything in your arms in surprise, but still managed to duck out of the way in time to miss getting your head blown off. A huge chunk of the wall came flying off and you blanched thinking about what that bullet would have done to your body.

The people in the store screamed, either dropping to the floor or running behind shelves to hide from what they must have assumed were store looters. The three thugs were standing in the way of the door, so nobody could leave. You were just hoping the other customers stayed out the way. The second someone tried to intervene was the second they died.

You had to get the three of them away from the door so that everyone else could escape, whilst still somehow keeping your head firmly planted on your neck. Your hand itched to reach out for your guns, but for now you opted for scrambling to the back of the store, out of direct sight of the three thugs. As you'd hoped, they followed after. The one with the shotgun led the group, the two behind him following suit, one wielding a hefty looking axe, and the other with what looked something like the love child of a submachine gun and a mace.

Once there was a sizable amount of room between them and the door, you scuttled out of your hiding spot and further away from the three thugs, ducking lower to the ground when they fired off another shot just above your shoulder. A couple people got the memo, and started racing for the exit - including the guy working the counter, magazine deserted. You couldn't see the whole store but from the silence you guessed that everyone had left. Good.

You stood up from where you were crouching, exposing yourself to the thugs. Without missing a beat they swung around, the one in front already tightening his finger on the trigger. You raised a hand. You reached deep inside you, clawing for that power that you hadn't touched for years now. It was easier to reach than you thought it would have been, like it was idly waiting for you to need it again.

It was seconds away from blasting out and just about obliterating the three men in front of you when someone tackled you from the side. There was a loud crash as you knocked over a stall on your way to the floor, followed by a harsh bang, courtesy of another missed shot. A shower of glass came crashing to the floor as the missed shot shattered the door of the cold goods freezer.

You were pressed against the floor, somebody else pinning you down and covering you with their body. You growled in anger, frustrated that you had been sneakily attacked from the side when you were just about to end those stupid guys. You turned around to try and get your hands on your new attacker but sucked in gasp when you saw that the guy on top of you was entirely human.

It struck you then that this guy was probably one of the customers in the store, and you hadn't realised he was still in there. He had dived for you thinking he was saving your life, and as sweet as it may have been, his split second act had actually put you both in a shit ton more danger.

"Get off me you idiot!" You yelled, shoving the guy off. His eyes went wide, obviously not expecting your reaction or your strength. "Stay down there and don't fucking move!" You pointed at him. His face went slack with a mix of fear and confusion, but he didn't move.

You crawled around the fallen food stall until you caught sight of your three actual attackers. You swore under your breath when you realised you couldn't use your powers because there was still a bloody human in the shop. You pulled one of the guns out of it's holster, sighing as the familiar weight of it pressed against your palm.

The bikers were stalking in your direction, and even from across the shop, they were going to be on you in seconds. You had to be quick about this. You couldn't get the clearest shot from here, so you had to scoot out into an open area to be able to do any damage, but that meant they would have time to get at you as well.