- Chapter Two -

"Oh shit." You mumbled. You drew your sunglasses further down your face, as if they had been deceiving your eyes in some way. Nope. "Oh fucking fuck."

When picturing yourself being on posters plastered all over the country, 'WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE' wasn't really the heading you would have given yourself. Three million dollars. That was the asking price for your head. You knew Tanner's boss would have been mad about what you did, but you didn't think he'd be this mad. At least it didn't have your name on it, that would have landed you in a lot more trouble.

After sleeping for nearly forty eight hours, you'd awoken to a terrible rumbling. At first you'd thought it was Tanner's co-workers, coming to collect their revenge. But it was actually just your stomach. So you stormed out of bed, beat the dust out of your clothes as best as you could, and headed out to the nearest convenience store.

Granted you were in the middle of nowhere, the nearest convenience store was the gas station about an hours walk away. By the time you got there, you were once again sweaty and disgruntled. And just as you were about to walk in the door, you caught sight of a strikingly familiar face. What a way to perk up your day.

Now you were in real shit. Before, you just had Tanner's goonies gunning for you. Now you were going to have every single well-respected bounty hunter on the lookout. You were now officially on the run. Knowing your parents, they likely already knew about your new criminal status. You couldn't tell if you were smug or terrified.

You ripped the poster off the notice board and shoved it in your pocket. You needed to get a car. You weren't going to make it two days out on those stupid dirt roads if you had to get everywhere by foot. The walk to the motel was strenuous enough, the thought of doing it again nearly made you want to turn yourself in just for a ride.

For now you settled with waddling into the convenience store. You sighed as the air conditioner hit your skin and debated just hanging out here for an hour, but you looked sketchy enough as it was dressed head to toe in black, there was no doubt you'd probably get asked to leave.

The store wasn't anything impressive. The desolate location meant there wasn't a budget for a big store, and the short aisles were packed close together, with a slim selection of goods. There was a fan whirring up above, making most of the noise in the store, and the bored looking employee was flipping through a magazine behind the desk.

You took your time to peruse the aisles and pull out any snacks that caught your attention. You weren't too worried about money. Most of your bag was filled with rolls of cash - another thing that would make you look entirely too suspicious if somebody saw that. In reality it was just the birthday gifts you'd received from all your very well-off friends. You had to leave behind all your good clothes and personal items when you departed from Tanner's house, but the money you kept.

There were a couple other customers meandering around the store. The sweat on their brows and flushed faces had you thinking they had the same idea about escaping the heat. When you had just moved over to the ice-cream freezer, the door swished letting in a warm breeze, accompanied by a few more customers. You looked up nonchalantly at first, not thinking much about the three buff biker guys who'd just walked in, sunglasses hiding their eyes. They were common occurrences along these roads. But then you caught the glint of metal, and that's when you saw the matching badges stamped on the chest of their shirts.

A skull with an axe through its head. That was the mark of Tanner's lot. The second you made eye contact, you knew they were here for you. Fear spiked through you, your blood running cold. You knew you were safe for now, the store was filled with humans, and by law, nobody was allowed to do anything even remotely supernatural. It was only until you stepped out of the store that you would be in trouble.