oikawa tooru | ⛈

prompt: ambition is a beautiful rose filled with thorns.
category: angst
character: no-ass man
word count: 2455
💫

AMBITION, that's why they had fallen for each other in the first place. She had watched him stay even after practicing for hours, tossing up balls before spiking them over the net. Sometimes, he just continued to set balls even if no one was there to hit it. And he had watched her do the same, the times she'd skip lunch to write.

Sometimes he'd get so tired of watching her hand grip the pencil tighter, wanting his hand to be there instead. However, he knew better than to distract her when she was on a writing speel. It was the same as when she would clap as quietly as she could when he did an amazing spike (which was almost all of them), but he still heard it and it burned a fire in his heart.

What happens when it's over
When we've breathed our last breath
And we've loved each other to death?
Can you tell me what happens?

Cuddled up beside her on the grassy field, the couple occasionally looked up at the stars. Occasionally is an understatement. Y/n was still cuddled up in a blanket, a laptop set against her thighs as her hands flew across the keyboard. In Oikawa's hands, a volleyball that he tossed into the air, liking the satisfying feeling that came with it cupping against his hands once again.

A few more smacks resounded in the air, the rubber hitting his palm as a small smile shaped his lips. "Could you stop that?" The brunet stiffened, eyes glancing over to the female. Her hair was a mess, her glasses sliding down the bridge of her nose as she bit her thumbnail. "It's really annoying me." Y/n mumbled.

His heart constricted at her words. It never bothered her before? He blinked confusedly, but complied. He set the volleyball down beside him, reaching over to press a chaste kiss on the side of her temple. Y/n hummed appreciatively, curling up against his warmth as she continued writing. I love you. Oikawa let out a breath, closing his eyes in bliss.

I wonder where the love goes
When pleasure turns to pain
When the memories fade away
Can you tell me what happens?

"You're here?" Small footsteps resounded near the gym's entrance. Shoes squeaked against the gym floor, halting suddenly as the team froze and cast a glance at the girl standing there. They were all familiar with their captain's girlfriend, but she barely popped in. Oikawa seemed the most caught offguard, blinking furiously.

"Yeah," He nodded slowly, feeling Iwaizumi's puzzled eyes bore into the back of his head.

She stared at him, seeming disappointed. "You said practice was cancelled. I even texted you and I ended up running around looking for you." Y/n mumbled quietly, Oikawa's eyes widening. He usually walked his girlfriend home, yet he had completely forgotten to text her that their coach had told them to practice despite his absence.

"I'm sorry, it came up last minute—"

"—forget it. We'll just raincheck our date." She said bitterly, turning on her heel. Oikawa bit his bottom lip, eyes burning. Some of his teammates sent him concerned looks. Hell, even Kyōtani seemed bothered. "You didn't tell her?" Iwazumi was the first to speak up, but in a quiet whisper. He waved off the others to continue practicing.

Oikawa shook his head briefly, unsure if that was to say 'no' or to get rid of the burdening thoughts in his mind. Once again, he set the ball, calling out his best friend's name. "Iwa-chan!"

Flowers in your hair now on our grave
A little bit of pressure's all it takes
Should've known we'd shatter that we'd break, break

Oikawa bit his bottom lip, swiping through his phone in a bored manner. "Oikawa-san!" He looked up, eyes darting to a group of his fangirls. He raised a brow curiously before a charming smile shaped his lips, "Hello, ladies." He said, instantly making them swoon as he bragged about his sporty feats and good looks.