Defiance.

"The only concern I have with you lion is the reaction of the clan and other animal groups to this union. We do not need our reputation on the line especially with the power struggle we have gladly maintained since our previous king's death. May Wyatt rest in peace." Lydia retorted looking down her nose at the two.

"Like I stated before the wolves and the vampires will see this as an act of war for Falcon Haven. Lydia is right. Mixing of the species is something not common in our world, more or less the fact you both are men." Ephraim spoke up defending Lydia.

Aston's eyes glowed "Same-sex relationships are very common within other were-animal groups as well as our own! Plus you don't seem to have a problem with Viktor and Kendric being mated, especially since Kendric is the original Tiger King of our clan."

"That is beside the point Aston, we also have to think in regards to you producing heirs since it was you that Wyatt chose you as his successor," Ephraim growled back.

"Now Ephraim" Isadora stated, gaining his attention, "You know more than I do that Wyatt chose him based on more than merit alone. You seem to have forgotten."

"Isadora don't let your fondness for the boy distract you from your responsibilities to this clan" Ephraim snarled, flashing his eyes at the brunette.

Isadora stared hard at the man, "My duties to this clan have not changed, or have you forgotten that Aston is a part of those duties?"

Ephraims face reddened as he glared at the tigress, steam figuratively coming out of his ears from his frustration.

"If you and Viktor hadn't coddled him then we wouldn't be having this problem and he would not be challenging for us to handle. Instead, we rely on an enforcer to coerce him into coming back to the compound so that he is safe! He. Is. A. Child." Ephraim seethed.

"Shots fired Ephraim" Rhea gasped from her post next to River guarding the door, feigning pain from his words putting her hand to her chest, "Shots fired."

Aston silently chuckled at his friend's reaction to the elder's words, bringing a sort of comic relief to the room that was thick with tension. He squeezed his mate's hand before glaring at Ephraim's red face and glowing blue eyes, his annoyance for the elder growing stronger.

"At 25 years old and basically a grown man by human standards, treating him as such will probably benefit us in the long run. Also from the power that he displayed earlier along with his mate, I'm sure he will reign properly once we give him proper standing" Kendric stated uninterested in the argument. Aston looked at the former king with fondness, as he knew he had his silent support.

"That is neither here nor there, Kendric! He has been scarce for 8 months now, ever since he discovered that cliff on the outside of the city" Ephraim turning his gaze towards the blonde, "Yes Aston, we have been very aware of your whereabouts since you haven't felt the need to attend our meetings plus missing the last Gathering. Do you not realize how that makes us look with your absence?"

Aston continued to glare at him even though he knew that the man was speaking the truth. He had slacked completely on his duties not keeping the promise that he had made to Wyatt before his untimely demise. He felt a small sense of guilt knowing that the elders had done everything in their power to keep the clan in tip-top shape during his absence. Aston suddenly felt selfish. Looking at Nicolai, who had surprisingly stayed silent during the argument, he stared into his golden gaze feeling a sense of comfort and control.

"I'm sorry," he said, focusing on the elders before him.

Isadora, Ephraim, and Lydia stared at Aston with wide eyes, so wide it was as if they could pop out of their skulls and would be on the floor. The elders stared at him in an awe-like silence, looking as if he had grown a second head. Aston was sorry?