Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

Sitting herself on the edge, her fingers scrambled for her tied up ankles, fumbling over the knotted rope. She began furiously untying herself, moving quickly to get herself freed so she could help her friends.

And then suddenly, from outside, there was a bright blinding light and the sound of a whirring helicopter. They had no idea how many helicopters there were in the Scorch, but knowing their luck, it would be WCKD.

"Good evening. This is the World Catastrophe Killzone Department."

Of course it is.

"We have your compound completely surrounded. You find yourselves, through no fault of your own, in possession of WCKD property."

As Janson's voice continued to boom through the warehouse, Florence pushed it to the back of her mind, focusing on getting her friends out of an even more time sensitive predicament. Once Thomas was upright and untied, she had double the power and therefore a much quicker pace.

"Return them to us unharmed and we'll consider this a simple misunderstanding. Or you can resist, and every last one of you will die."

I don't think I'd blame a single person for wanting to hand us in then. Not that they should...

"It won't be long before the Flare wipes out the rest of us. The hope of a cure lies in your hands. The choice is yours."

Florence's eyes subconsciously drifted to Teresa as Janson spoke, the words Thomas told her earlier echoing in her mind. Teresa wants them to go back.

Can they trust her?

"Alright let's go!"

Once they were all freed, they turned towards the exit to see the same man they had seen before; both on the stairs before they met Jorge, and just talking to Jorge not too long ago. He cocked his gun, pointing it at them with a wicked grin on his face. He said nothing, but took a few steps towards them, waving the gun expectantly.

Reluctantly, they were forced to raise their hands in defence, Thomas being the one to say, "We're not trying to cause any trouble, okay? We just got to get out of here."

"Is that so?" He replied, smugly. Raising his other hand up, Florence saw the walky-talky he held, and he spoke into it to inform WCKD of his discovery.

"Janson, I got 'em for ya. I'm bringing 'em down. Don't shoot us." Taking the walky-talky away again, he gestured with the gun for them all to follow him. "Come on. Let's go."

Florence didn't need to say a thing to her friends to know that they would all be staying put. She could see his anger grow as none of them obeyed him, and he took another step forwards, practically growling in Thomas's face.

"I said let's go."

Florence knew her brother well. He held a tired expression, giving the impression he was about to give in, but then lurched forwards to turn the gun up and away from their direction, shooting  a bullet in the ceiling. He wrestled with the man as Florence and the others watched helplessly.

He staggered back at the force of Thomas's forehead hitting his, and just before Thomas could seize control of the weapon, the man had collected himself and was pointing it at them once again. Thomas had tried; no one could blame him for the return to their helpless position.