Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

"Hey, wait. You're not gonna help us?" Thomas's voice raised with annoyance, and Florence could feel her fear returning again.

They could at least release us from this stupid rope.

"Don't worry, hermano. We'll get you back to where you belong." Jorge smiled, with a hidden look of something Florence couldn't decipher, before turning on his heel to leave. "Hang tight!"

"Hey!" Florence yelled after him, throwing out her hands out of frustration and causing herself to begin spinning in the air, her fear returning only increasingly.

"We need to get out of here." She said firmly, her voice wobbling as she forced her eyes to look on her friends rather than below her.

Minho's gaze found hers, and she could see that he instantly understood how afraid she was. He gave her a reassuring smile, despite his own fear, and Florence felt a little better.

"Okay. How are we gonna do this?" He called out to the others, and already Newt's eyes were scanning for ways they could escape the elaborate contraption they were caught up in.

"I think I have an idea." Newt announced, and the intrigue was clear in his eyes as he glanced between Teresa and Minho.

"Minho, ready?"

It was about their hundredth time trying out Newt's genius plan. Very simply, Thomas would push Teresa towards Minho, who would then push her towards the steel bar at the edge of the drop. Teresa would then grab it, pull herself onto the platform and untie herself and then set them all free.

However, Newt's plan clearly wasn't so genius. They had been attempting it for the past twenty minutes, each time with Teresa just a little out of reach.

This time was no different.

As Teresa swung back towards them, failing to grab the metal bar once more, Minho let out a frustrated growl at their lack of success. Newt had suggested Teresa to try because as a girl she was probably lighter to push than the boys, and Florence was more than terrified staying still let alone swinging.

But she was starting to think she should have a go herself.

"Come on, Minho. Push her harder."

"Wait." Florence interrupted, after what had seemed like hours of her silence. She took everyone's attention, and suddenly felt very reluctant as to say what she had made up in her mind very spontaneously. "I'll have a go."

It took a few minutes for Florence to gain enough momentum to reach her brother. When she did, the boy swung around and pushed her - quite firmly - towards Minho. She held out her arms to him, ignoring the drop she was swinging over, and pulling him quite close when she came into reach.

However, only a second after grabbing him, he had sent her spinning towards the metal bar as planned, and she barely had a moment to collect her thoughts. Seeing a flash of metal in her eyes, she flung out her arms, attempting to latch onto anything.

To her surprise, she succeeded.

At some point in swinging through the air, she had firmly closed her eyes, but upon finding she had stopped swinging and her hands were gripping cool metal, she could peel them open again. Her friends let out relieved sighs, the only one she didn't hear from was a presumably grumbling Teresa.

"Florence, hurry."

Releasing one hand from the bar, she managed to twist around so she was now working with gravity again. She shifted herself closer to the ground, reaching for the lever to move herself down to the level of the floor; cringing when her friends yelled out in surprise.