Chapter Seven - Friendship With A Stranger

"Charlie you're fucking scaring me! Tell me whats wrong right now!" I couldn't speak, I could barley breath. Cool beads of sweat began to form and slide down my spine, every part of my body was in pain.

"Hey cool the drinks are here let's-"

"You fucking did this!" Aaron released me and I almost collapsed, I felt beyond exposed and panic set in as I sank to the sand and balled up against the bar bench. "What the fuck does this note mean?! What did you do to her?!" I faintly saw Aaron slam Darrel against the bench.

"A...Aaron...h...he's...no..." I managed to squeak out a few words. He clasped my upper arms and pulled me to my feet while wrapping his arms around me. I sighed a breath of relief and clung to him when I felt his frame cover me.

"What did I do? Charlie are you alright-"

"Don't fucking speak to her."

"S...sir the..this wasn't the man who left the note for her." I turned my face slight, keeping my cheek firmly pressed against Aaron's chest. "He...he was much older and...he had dark hair, he...he wasn't this man." She studied Darrel to confirm and Darrel seemed confused and more so concerned.

"M...ma...Mason...a...Aaron it was him....m...he's here...Mason's..."

"Shhh. Charlie I promise you he's still locked  up tight in New York, I made sure of it. There isn't even a chance he got out, please calm down."

"Charlie-"

"Don't! Stay away from my wife." Aaron warned with enough hatred in his voice to make me shiver. He scooped me up into his arms and carried me across the beach back to the fairy boat. He settled me down on one of the benches and sat next to me pulling me into his side.

I knew that it must be killing him not knowing what has me so afraid, why I reacted this way but where do I even begin. I had told Aaron about my past but there was so much I was too ashamed and afraid to remember let alone express to another person. We both remained silent during the journey from the beach to our room.

He pushed me down to sit on the edge of the bed. "D...D...Dallas..." He crouched down and took my freezing and still trembling hands in his.

"What did you just say?" He asked through gritted teeth.

"H...he-" I threw my arms around his neck and tightened my grip, digging my nails into my forearms to stay firmly clung to him. He slid his arms around my middle and lifted me slightly while sliding me up the bed. I didn't let go for even a second and seeing this Aaron didn't attempt to pry me off or question me further.

He laid back into the mattress pulling me on top of him, I tightened my legs around him instinctively and closed my eyes as he lulled  my back. My heart beat still hadn't settled, every time I shuddered from yet another memory of Dallas becoming fresher in my mind Aaron tensed a little more.

***

I eventually managed to peel myself away from Aaron who was finally in a deep sleep, I hadn't been able to sleep all night, seeing this Aaron had fought to stay awake for most of the night and into the early morning. I pulled the covers over him and kissed his forehead, he had kept his firm grip secured around me even in his sleep.

I was being ridiculous, how could anything ever happen to me with him around? There wasn't anything in this world that Aaron wouldn't do to keep me safe and I knew that. It was simply a letter after all and who knows it could have just as easily been for someone else or a joke. Convincing myself of this I slid off the bed and took a shower.

Wiping the steam off of the mirror I decided to just forget about last night, the last thing I ever want is to become a burden on Aaron and if my fucked up past keeps coming back to torment me how do I do that? We both have so much history, but the only way to move forward is to leave all that behind. I can't ask Aaron to do that if I'm not prepared to also do that myself.