Chapter Twenty Two - Like A Perfect Businessman

"W...what do you mean?" I could barely rattle out the words. Taking the papers in my hand he handed me the others, they seemed identical on first look. I read through the pages carefully, the oxygen left my body when I read the words 'custody of children.' Charlotte and Adrien's names were printed after it. A single tear fell from my eyes and slid down the page. "V...visitation rights? Aaron...what..." I flicked to the other side and staggered back. It felt like the ground had been ripped out from underneath me, I couldn't tell if I was being sucked into the earth or falling.

"Both Charlotte and Adrien will stay with me. I want full custody." His voice cut through me like a blade, my ears still ringing from his words. "Visitation rights are outlined. And for peanut...we'll cross that bridge when we have to. Keeping the kids together is best. When peanuts born I'll apply for full custody." I watched his blank face waiting for a glimpse of sympathy, regret...anything...something. His eyes were completely emotionless, he never faltered as he said each word. It seemed like a business transaction, his dominance and intimidating exterior clawing to the surface with each word...he put forward his deal like a perfect businessman.

Before I could comprehend what was happening I lifted my hand and brought my palm to slap down hard on his cheek. His face jolted from the force and the sting was barely recognisable, my entire body felt numb. "How dare you?" He straightened to look at me and I slapped him again. "You are not the man I thought you were...they are my children Aaron! I'm their mother! How could you even think..." I lifted the papers and shook them in front of his face. I lifted my free hand again, but before I could slap him he caught my wrist.

"You wanted the divorce. Not me remember." I broke my hand free and took a step away.

"Who...who the hell are you? What the fuck did I marry?" His face softened or maybe I just imagined it, I threw the papers at his feet and ran up the stairs. I ran straight to the twins room and sank down against the wall between both their beds. I hugged my arms around my stomach, my mind was still struggling to process what Aaron had just done.

'Lorraine was wrong...' What she'd said may have been true once, but not anymore...the man I love could never do something like this to me, not even by accident. I'd never felt more afraid, more helpless and trapped ever before. The thought of my children being taken from me...not raising them, killed me. "I'm not going to let this happen...I swear I won't leave you, even...even if that means staying with him." The second I put a finger near both Charlotte and Adrian's tiny balled up fists, they clutched a finger each.

They tightened their hold and I smiled at their consciousness of me even when they slept. "I will never leave either of you..."

***

Shifting I felt our bedsheets beneath me, the second I realised I was in bed I shot up. Scanning the room I was overwhelmed with panic, climbing out of bed I ran to the twins room. "No!" I screamed pulling the blankets away from both their beds. I ran downstairs and came to an abrupt halt when I saw them happily tapping different coloured plastic spoons on their high chair trays.

My body sagged with relief, I hurried towards them and planted several kisses over both of their faces. They giggled and attempted to feed me with their spoons. I stiffened at the sound of the fridge closing, turning my head I found Aaron pouring apple juice into two sippie cups. Rounding the island he came up behind me. His body pressed against mine as he placed the cups on both trays, Adrien and Charlotte pounced on them squealing with excitement.

He straightened, the second he did I turned and slammed straight into his chest. I lifted my head and his warm breath fanned my face. I closed my eyes as each of his breaths blew strands of hair over my face. Pushing away I tried to move around him, I was tugged back gently. Turning I saw his arm extended, I tried to move with a little more force. "Stop." He clasped my shoulder with one hand to straighten me, "my watch is stuck."