It's Just Dinner - part one

"Alrighty Mrs. Jenson. Just take these here pills before you go to sleep." I say to the white haired elder whose bedside I'm standing next to.  Looking at me with cloudy eyes, she lifts a thin, frail arm at me. a

"Marilyn?" She says confusedly, once again not realizing who I am once again.

"No. Not Marilyn, Mrs. Jenson." I respond gently.

I take her hand in mind, and face her palm up, placing her prescribed pills in her hand.

"Can you take those for me?" I ask.

"Where have you been Marilyn?" She inquires again. The sorrow in her words pulls at my heartstrings.

"I was away, but I'm here now, mom. Can you please take those pills?" I play along, participating with her delirium.

She looks at me then, her hand trembling slightly, but draws her hand to her chest.

"You won't be going anywhere will you?" She eyes me hopefully, waiting on my response.

"No, mom. I came here to visit you. Now take your pills and go to bed." I smile, taking the glass of water by her bedside table and holding it out. She takes it from me and swallows her pills one by one, sipping her water. Finished she holds the cup out to me with a gentle smile.  

"There now. Ready for bed?"

"I suppose. Promise you'll be here in the morning?"

"Of course. Now time for night night."

She gets comfortable in her bed and turns over on her side, sighing contently.

"I'm so glad you're here, Marilyn."

"And I'm glad to be here."

I stroke her fine, wispy head to ease her, before stepping away. I turning the lights off on my way out, and silently close the door. I lean against the door, letting out my breath.  I know that as I leave the room, so does this "Marilyn." By morning Mrs. Jenson won't remember Marilyn and as everyday passes she remembers less and less of herself.

"Ellie! Leave!" Jora says as she walks down the hallway. She is coming in for work as I am leaving. She works the evening shift.

"I was just about to get ready to go." I say with a laugh, standing upright and walking up to her.

"I'm sure." She says sarcastically, rolling her eyes for good measure. "Not working more overtime?"

"No....tommrow." I say sheepishly. 

"Do you secretly live here...I feel like one day I'm going to open a closet and see you camping out there." 

"I do have a life after work you know!" 

"Certainly. So, tell me, Miss. Viva La Vida, what are your plans for tonight then?"

"Well..." I pause then, not sure how to answer her, seeing as I don't have anything planned. On my calendar, the square marked "Friday" is vacant. Occasionally I go out with Jora for lunch or meet up with a few friends for midday hang outs, walks, or movie nights. But my night life, well that could use a little work.

"Exactly! Typical Elsa!" Jora threw her hands up in the air. She is always one for the dramatic. 

"Look, Jora. There's nothing wrong with wanting to spend an evening at home. I'm worn out."

"I never said there was anything wrong with that. Though, for you Ellie, every evening you spend is at home."

"Not true! I hung out with you and the girls for your twenty-sixth birthday! Remember?"  I say, crossing my arms, annoyed with Jora's judgement of me.