Aches and Pains

I only open one eye and I look around me to take in my surroundings.

My head feels heavy and my brain is trying to make sense of what is around me.

Bed. Blanket. Window.

I'm in a bedroom. My bedroom. I turn onto my back and groan. I'm sore. Everything hurts. My legs, my arm, my neck. I feel like I've slept on a pile of rocks and I can't really make out why. I don't know how I got to this bed or when I fell asleep. I try to think of the last few things I remember but trying to think makes my head hurt.

My mouth is try. I'm hungry. I'm hurting. I sit up in the bed. Judging from the light trickling through the window it's late afternoon. I swing my legs over the side of the bed and stretch. My bones crack and pop. I feel a little better. I head over to the bathroom as I leave my nightie trailing on the floor behind me. I stare at myself in the mirror and am a little frightened. 

I look far from well rested. My eyes are blood shot, my lips are dry and cracked. I have seen better days. How long have I been asleep? I wonder to myself. I try to think of my last memory but it's lost on me. I just remember bits and pieces. I turn to the facet and the shower head starts and I jump back.

Rain. 

 I was running. Rain. It was storming outside and I was running for my life. I think. Could that really have happened or was that a nightmare? And eyes.

"Get a grip Elsa. You're losing it." I say out-loud. I get into the shower and take my time. It feels good to be under the hot water and my muscles loosen a bit. I shampoo my hair thoroughly and conditioned. I feel more myself as I step out. I must have spent over an hour but I feel loose and wiggly, like a noodle, and I take a deep breath. I pamper and groom myself before stepping out back into my bedroom with my robe loosely tied against my waist. I stop when I see Darren, sitting on my bed, calmly waiting for me.

"How long have you been there I ask?" 

"A while. I heard you sing three different songs to yourself in the shower."

I laugh. 

"That long...sorry....I would've hurried up if I knew you were waiting for me."

"No, I'm just glad to see you up and awake. You were out for a while. You've slept over twelve hours. Hungry?" 

He points to a tray set out on my vanity, awaiting me. 

"Yes..." I say. I lift the tray. There are eggs, cheese, fruit, coffee, and juice waiting for me. "This looks yummy." 

"There's more if you're still hungry."

"Yes, I will still be hungry. I feel like I was hit by a truck." I say, rubbing my neck. "I had the most terrible dream, Darren. I couldn't even describe it to you. What happened?"

"You fainted."

"Fainted..."  I say to myself. "That's a first." I pop a grape into my mouth.

"Tell me what you remember?"

"Um...I was doing homework. I took a walk. We got into an argument. It was raining..."

"Yes."

"Anything I'm missing?"

"A bit." He said with a smirk that didn't quite reach his eyes. 

"I had a nightmare. I think. You and Nina were transforming into - "

"Wolves." He finishes my sentence. 

"Yea...isn't that crazy."

He doesn't respond, just looks at me, as if he's waiting for me to come to some understanding.