Chapter One

I collapsed onto my bed after a long days work.

Today, my job was to watch the children as their parents worked in the fields. All day long I had to run after them as they ventured in and out of gardens, up and down trees. My limbs actually burned, to the point where I couldn't think of anything except the muscles contracting within me.

I sighed and stood up, making my way to the bathroom. Once inside, I closed the door and faced the mirror. I was born with a very fair complextion. My skin, over time, got used to the harsh rays from the sun and in return I was rewarded with a nice tan-colored tone. With my brunette hair also high-lighted by the rays, I was told I was a natural beauty.

I remebered what I was actually in the bathroom for and pulled open the medicine cabinet. I grabbed a few bandages, then traveled down the stairs.

I found my parents perched on the counter in the kitchen, their legs folded indian-style as they cut up vegtables for dinner. My mother pointed at me with her knife,

"What're the bandages for?" She asked.

I rummaged through the freezer to find a few ice packs. I grabbed the only two I could find and placed them, along with the bandages, on the dinning table.

"My muscles hurt. I thought that maybe the ice packs would make them burn less." I shrugged and started wrapping the packs.

"Here, let me help you." My father offered, jumping down from his position. He made his way over to me and instructed me to lift my arms. One at a time, he held an ice pack to my sholder, then tightly wrapped it with the bandages. He did the same with the other, until both were secure.

"Better?" He asked.

"Much better. Thank you."

"Dinner is just about ready. I know you're sore, but would you mind setting the table?"

I agreed to and went to the cubbard. Grabbing sets of three of each utenzil and plate, I went around the table and neatly set each fork, knife, spoon, and plate on our red napkins. Taking a seat, I watched as my parents finished prepping the food. Within minutes, the table was full and busseling with conversation.

For a while, I just sat back and listened to my mom and dad as they discussed their day. Mom helped harvest a few crops while dad went around on the tractor and seperated the dirt for more crops to plant. It wasn't until half way through dinner did my parents turn the conversation towards me.

"So, Scar, your aptitude test is a few months away." My dad began.

I quickly swallowed the food in my mouth and gripped my fork. Mom must've sensed my tension as she reached for my wrist and squeezed gently.

"Honey, there's nothing to be nervous about. It's just a test. It's meant to help you." She said, smiling.

But even her smile couldn't calm my nerves.

I hadn't really thought about the test in a while. I was enjoying time with my friends and actually enjoying myself in school. But when I thought about the test, I felt nothing but anxitey, even emptiness. I've heard many people say that 95% of people get their faction of origin as their result.

Whatever I get, I'll never know if my result is of my actual faction or of one that I fit best in.

"Scar?" My mother asked, her voice tearing me from my thoughts. "Did you hear me? You have nothing to worry about."

"I don't know," I muttered, "I don't know who I am so I don't know what I want."

"What're you talking about?"