Chapter Eight

Ellie and I sat on the floor of the cafeteria in the Hub. We were surrounded by other girls and boys, all waiting to take the aptitude test.

Each faction was busy in their own little world. The Abnegation sat quietly with their heads bowed while the Erudite's shared knowledge and information to each other, excitingly pointing out passages in text books and newspapers.

The Candor argued at the table beside the Erudite's, getting in each other's faces which was the total opposite of us Amity, who were busy sitting in a circle and giggling. Ellie and I kept a little distance between the other Amity's for the sake of keeping our sanity.

"C'mon, let's play a game." Ellie offered, turning to face me. She outstretched her hands and turned them upwards. "Place your hands in my palms."

I followed her instructions and straightened my posture, smiling a bit. "I know this game."

Her response was the quick movement of her hands. She tried to slap the back of my hands, but I was too quick. I pulled them away before she could, therefore winning the game.

Giggling, we set up again without a word and continued this way until my reaction was too slow. Once she was able to slap the back of my hands, we switched positions.

"Nervous?" She asked, her fingers dancing in the palms of my hands.

"About the test?"

"No, about me winning this stupid game." She rolled her eyes. "Of course I'm talking about the test."

"A little bit." I answered honestly. "I have no idea what to expect."

"Neither does anyone else."

"Are you nervous?"

"A bit. But we just have to trust the test."

"That's what Eric said."

She eyed me suspiciously. "You saw him last night?"

"A few nights ago." I laughed off her gaze. "He's been busy lately. But he just told me to relax. He said I can always choose differently if I don't like my result."

"He makes it sound so easy." Ellie sighed.

Our conversation was suddenly interrupted when an Abnegation woman cleared her throat. She stood before the room full of sixteen year olds, smiling gently. A list was settled between her hands of the next group to be evaluated.

My name was called.

Ellie patted my shoulder encouragingly. "You're going to be fine. Good luck!"

I lifted my hand and squeezed hers, then stood and followed the other's towards the exit of the cafeteria.

The other Amity that I was called with gave me a quick hug before we parted ways. Her name was Dolly, a girl I would always run into back on the farm. We were acquaintances obviously, everyone at Amity knew each other. She fit in perfectly with everyone else. She was bound to get Amity as her result and stay there for the rest of her life.

I turned to face a large door labeled with a large number 2. Taking a deep breath, I ventured inside.

"Welcome." Another Abnegation voice greeted me.

I gave her a small smile, then took a seat in the large, scary looking chair that she gestured to. She began setting up, attaching electrodes to herself, me, and the machine. My palms were sweating so much I could barely clutch the arm rests.

When she finished, she handed me a vial of clear liquid.

"Drink this, please."

I took it from her hands, squinting down at it. "What is it?"