Chapter Ten

I ran.

I ran as fast as I could to keep up with my new family.

Dauntless was the name. Staying alive was the game.

One would not believe the looks I got as I stepped down from the counter of choices and into Dauntless territory. An Amity...transferring to Dauntless? Who would've thought?

The room had fallen quiet after I sliced my hand onto the sizzling coals, and I did not dare look at my parents. I didn't want to see the disappointment on their faces. I wanted to enjoy my new life, the atmosphere it already brought. Once the shock was over, the congratulations came about. The claps on my back were hard and forceful, but I enjoyed every second of it.

I let the wind flow between my hair as I ran along with the rest of my peers. Screams and laughs filled the air as we all rushed towards the train tracks. I thought we'd find a way up to them, but I thought wrong. The others began scaling the metal pillars without missing a beat.

I stood beneath them, fascinated.

"What's the matter, pansy cake? Too scary?" A boy to me right cackled.

My eyes fell on his blue clothes.

Erudite.

As I watched him try his best to climb the metal, it was very apparent that he was struggling. If it wasn't obvious by the way his face turned a bright shade of red that gave him away, it was the groans that spilled from his mouth as he tried to force himself up.

I giggled at the poor excuse of a man in front of me and positioned myself just right. Within minutes, I quickly scaled the two stories before the kid could even blink. Years of climbing trees had prepared me for that moment. I couldn't even explain the joy I got out of that.

The train roared past the second my feet landed on the platform. I took off running, passing those who were unsure of how we were getting on. They took the hint and began following me as I followed the Dauntless-Borns.

I timed it just right and jumped, throwing my body to the left. My hand latched onto the handle and I yanked my body inside. It took me a minute to steady myself, but I landed on my feet. Hopefully, I made a great first impression. One that made it clear that I was not a weakling.

"Well, would you look at this." A Dauntless boy nudged his friend in the ribs and pointed at me. "Looks like we got ourselves a softie."

Before his friend could speak, a Dauntless girl interrupted them. She pushed her way through the crowded train, towards me. I was still trying to catch my breath when she approached me and gave me a smirk.

"I don't know, boys. This one looks like a fighter." She outstretched her hand for me to shake. "I'm Lola. Those are my friends - Cage and Taz. Don't mind them, they're tools."

"We can hear you." The one she had pointed to last, Taz, rolled his eyes.

I took a deep breath and shook her hand. "Scarlett."

Lola pursed her lips and tilter her head. "I like Scar better. Makes you sound like a force to be reckoned with." She moved to stand beside me, her back resting against the wall of the cart. "You know, I'm pretty impressed. You got on faster than half the Dauntless Borns, and you seem pretty strong. You scaled the platform like it was nothing."

"You'd be surprised how much cardio Amity's actually do." I said.

Cage snorted. "You must be an Amity on steroids or something. I've never seen an Amity do that."

If only they knew..

________________________

The train slowed a bit, a subtle hint that our stop was coming up. Knowing Dauntless, the metal cart would not stop entirely, just enough to let the new initiates jump. I've seen Eric do this so many times, I could probably do it with my eyes closed.